Set in “1980-something,” the popular ABC sitcom The Goldbergs perfectly captures the optimism and wonder of our childhood. Therefore, we feel it’s a safe bet to assume that it’s upcoming spinoff, set in the 1990s, will capture the reckless nihilism and debauchery of our teenage years, right? Well, perhaps we’re taking all of this too personally.
In fact, the as-yet-untitled spinoff follows the story of Goldbergs‘ gym teacher Coach Miller, played by Bryan Callen, and guidance counselor Andre Glascott, played by Tim Meadows, as they continue to teach at the high school Adam Goldberg graduated from. According to a report from Deadline, the show has added more depth by adding Uncle Buck star Nia Long, who has been cast as the sister of Meadows’ character, Lucy Winston. Long’s character, according to the report, looking for a better life for her kids, gets her brother to get her a job at William Penn Academy, and thusly get her kids into the school for free. There, the boys will face typical high school challenges like “cliques, status, sports, substance abuse.”
Substance abuse?! Well, alright, maybe this will bring back some of those sweet 1990s memories after all!
Rachel Crow and Summer Parker have also been recently cast in the pilot, which doesn’t have a debut date yet.
- BOOM! Reveals Joe Quinones Variant for Firefly Comics Revival on #MalCrushMonday - August 13, 2018
- Archie, Batman, Spider-Man, and Venom in Archie Comics Previews for This Week - August 13, 2018
- Which WWE Superstar is Set for a Major Return on Monday Night Raw Tonight? [Spoilers] - August 13, 2018
- First Look at Matt Kindt and Tyler Jenkins’s Black Badge #2 - August 13, 2018
- Marvel Writers Discuss Killing Honey Badger in Uncanny X-Men Relaunch - August 13, 2018