Set in “1980-something,” the popular ABC sitcom The Goldbergs perfectly captures the optimism and wonder of our childhood. Therefore, we feel it’s a safe bet to assume that it’s upcoming spinoff, set in the 1990s, will capture the reckless nihilism and debauchery of our teenage years, right? Well, perhaps we’re taking all of this too personally.
In fact, the as-yet-untitled spinoff follows the story of Goldbergs‘ gym teacher Coach Miller, played by Bryan Callen, and guidance counselor Andre Glascott, played by Tim Meadows, as they continue to teach at the high school Adam Goldberg graduated from. According to a report from Deadline, the show has added more depth by adding Uncle Buck star Nia Long, who has been cast as the sister of Meadows’ character, Lucy Winston. Long’s character, according to the report, looking for a better life for her kids, gets her brother to get her a job at William Penn Academy, and thusly get her kids into the school for free. There, the boys will face typical high school challenges like “cliques, status, sports, substance abuse.”
Substance abuse?! Well, alright, maybe this will bring back some of those sweet 1990s memories after all!
Rachel Crow and Summer Parker have also been recently cast in the pilot, which doesn’t have a debut date yet.
- Justice League Shocker: Zack Snyder Likes Anti-Whedon Post on Social Media - February 23, 2018
- Gene Ha’s Mae Comes to Lion Forge with New Series - February 23, 2018
- Report: Chevy Chase Involved in Road Rage Altercation - February 23, 2018
- Bam Bam Bigelow, Kid Rock Rumored as Last 2018 WWE Hall of Fame Inductees - February 23, 2018
- What Does Joss Whedon’s Departure from Batgirl Mean for the DCEU and the Snyder Cut? - February 23, 2018