Just two days ago, Bleeding Cool reported that Kris Marshall remained the favorite to become the next Doctor, based on the betting odds. A lot can change in two days though, especially when you’re dealing with gambling odds for the next lead in a TV show that won’t be chosen for months, based on no information from the people ultimately in charge of making the decision, like incoming Doctor Who showrunner Chris Chibnall. Marshall has been usurped, it seems, by Doctor Strange star Tilda Swinton, according to the latest odds. Swinton leads the pack with 7/2 odds, while Marshall has fallen to second place at 4/1. Bleeding Cool’s pick, Olivia Colman, is in third with 5/1, followed by Maxine Peake, Richard Ayoade, Andrew Buchan, early favorite Ben Wishaw, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Reece Shearsmith, and Andrew Scott.
If you’re wondering why so many women are on the list, that’s because the calls for the Doctor to regenerate as a woman seem louder than ever. So far, we’ve seen Peter Capaldi, Billie Piper, and David Tennant all rooting for a female Doctor. Capaldi announced back in January that he would leave the show after the upcoming tenth season, which debuts on April 15, regenerating into a new actor during the next Christmas special and giving Chibnall a clean start.
Of course, odds are likely to change many times as we get closer to actually choosing a new Doctor, and more concrete information than the current rampant speculation becomes available.
- WWE Announces Signings of Candice LeRae, Ricochet, and War Machine - January 16, 2018
- East Coast Comicon Founder Responds to Conservative Media Outrage Over Kevin Sorbo Snub - January 16, 2018
- Defiant WWE Superstar Paige Declares 2018 to Be the Year of Paige - January 16, 2018
- Gail Simone Teases Crosswind Season 2, Coming in 2018 - January 15, 2018
- Sycho Sid Denies Blowing off Wrestling for Softball Whenever He Felt Like It - January 15, 2018