Kevin Smith is making a sequel to 2001’s Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. The Jersey film and comic shop mogul revealed the news in an Instagram post today.
Called Jay and Silent Bob Reboot, the film will be about the titular characters (played by Jason Mewes and Smith himself) returning to Hollywood to stop a reboot of the Bluntman and Chronic film they were trying to stop in the first movie. Smith says he movie will satirize Hollywood’s reboot culture, and that he had “the time of my life laughing” while writing the script last month. Smith originally planned a third Clerks film, but one of the leads dropped out. Smith chose to make a new Jay and Silent Bob film because he owns the rights to the characters, unlike Clerks or Mallrats.
Check out the Instagram post for more details below:
This is not a drill! This is an actual image from my laptop! Yes, Kids – @jayandsilentbob are coming back! Here's the story: Sadly, Clerks III can't happen (one of our four leads opted out of the flick). So I worked on a #Mallrats movie instead… which also didn't happen because it turned into a #Mallrats series. I've pitched said sequel series to 6 different networks only to find no takers thus far. Mind you, I'm not complaining: nobody gets to make EVERYTHING they wanna make in this business (do they?). And I've been lucky to make anything at all, there's so much competition out there, so many much cooler ideas from fresh folks. And besides: I had #comicbookmen and then @tuskthemovie and @yogahosers (which all came together so crazy quickly), and the podcasts and #fatmanonbatman. With all of that, how could I bitch about no Clerks III or Mallrats 2? Then when I started directing @thecw shows, it was such a slice of Heaven on Earth, I happily put my Askewniverse sequels to the side. Since I sold #Clerks and #Mallrats years ago, they're owned by others, which limits my moves with my own material. I don't mind: back in the day, all I ever wanted to do was sell my stuff so I could be in the movie biz in the first place. So I don't own Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy or #Dogma… But I DO own #jayandsilentbob. So while I love playing with someone else's new toys on @cwtheflash and @Supergirl, I'm getting eager to play with my old toys again in the inter-connected View Askewniverse I spent the first half of my career creating. And so all last month, I had the time of my life laughing while writing "Jay and Silent Bob Reboot" – a fun flick in which the Jersey boys have to go back to Hollywood to stop a brand new reboot of the old "Bluntman & Chronic Movie" they hated so much. It's a tongue-in-cheek, silly-ass satire that pokes fun at the movie business's recent re-do obsession, featuring an all-star cast of cameos and familiar faces! And I already met with the good folks at Miramax and they're into it, so I'm hoping we'll be shooting in the summer! Never give up, kids. You CAN do anything you want in life, so long as you're patient and malleable. #KevinSmith
- Clerks Actress Lisa Spoonauer Passes Away At Age 44
- Sam & Twitch's Star Wars Episode By Kevin Smith Is Probably Not What You Think It Would Be...
- Kevin Smith Threatens To Make Clerks 3, Mallrats 2 Into Comic Books
- Jay and Silent Bob Game Launches Crowd Funding Campaign
- Marvel Builds a #SpaceForce with Silver Surfer Annual, Guardians Omnibus, Quasar Collection, More - June 19, 2018
- Krakoa’s World War II Origin Explored in Journey Into Mystery One-Shot by Dennis Hopeless, Djibril Morissette-Phan - June 19, 2018
- X-Men Gold and X-Men Blue Ending in September… Will Anyone Survive?! - June 19, 2018
- Robert Kirkman and Cory Walker’s Invincible Gets Amazon Adult Animated Series - June 19, 2018
- Chelsea Cain Returns to Comics to “Make Trouble” with New Image Series ‘Man-Eaters’ - June 19, 2018