By this point, I think we’ve all seen the trailer for the upcoming Marvel and Square Enix collaboration series of AAA games. Which, while very new, has struck me as nothing more but another attempt by Marvel to try and launch a game series with no major substance.
The trailer gives us almost nothing other than a hashtag and recycled images of Avengers’ weapons lying on piles of rubble. The Cap shield has been used multiple times, mostly in failed Marvel mobile titles – Marvel War of Heroes used almost the exact same images, Marvel Heroes MMO‘s opening had Cap’s shield encased in ice as a major set piece, and its been used countless times in the comics.
In fact, the whole trailer looks a lot like the opening to Marvel War of Heroes which was a mobile trading card game. The SDCC teaser trailer for the game was the game’s opening credits. Which showed absolutely nothing of its actual gameplay.
Add to the absolutely unoriginal trailer the fact that the games will be produced by Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics and you have a whole host of I couldn’t care less. Eidos Montreal is, after all, the development company that gave us such gems as Theif and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Crystal Dynamics has done a decent job with the new Tomb Raider games, however, I will never forget trying to play Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris before NYCC a few years back. It was an utterly atrocious game.
Given Marvel’s history of money-draining FTP games (War of Heroes, Contest of Champions, Marvel Heroes, Marvel Puzzle Quest, Marvel Mighty Heroes, etc.) which are virtually unplayable unless you pay for premium characters and content, I’m less than enthused about this announcement. And we all know I have a deep fondness for Square Enix projects, but honestly. I’m rather sick of Avengers games and this just looks like more of the same.
- Marvel May Have Possibly Given Away The Title Of Their Game With Square Enix
- Marvel Heroes Omega Closed Beta Begins Today - On PS4 Only
- Bungie Admits to Throttling Destiny 2 Faction Rally Tokens - January 18, 2018
- Red Faction: Guerrilla Could Be Releasing on Xbox One and PS4 - January 18, 2018
- Snapchat Parent Company Lays off 22 Workers as Part of Reorganization Plan - January 18, 2018
- Go Behind the Scenes of Underworld Ascendant in Latest Trailer - January 17, 2018
- Wizards of the Coast Have Plumbed the Depths of MTG Arena’s Economy - January 17, 2018