Fantagraphics is getting in on some of that sweet Nazi punching action to promote their upcoming book, Take That Adolf!: The Fighting Comic Books of the Second World War. The 176 page full color softcover book by Mark Fertig collects over 500 restored comic book covers featuring superheroes taking on the top Nazi, Adolf Hitler. There’s been some debate about whether or not punching Nazis is okay. Nick Spencer says no. Warren Ellis says yes. Which side does Fantagraphics come in on this most important issue of our times?
— Fantagraphics Books (@fantagraphics) January 23, 2017
Here’s the description of the book:
Between 1941 and 1945, the greatest super villain to adorn a comic book cover was not the Red Skull or The Joker — it was Adolf Hitler! Yes, Hitler was featured on more comic book covers than any other villain — being pummeled by everyone from Captain America to Wonder Woman, until he was beaten for real by the Allied forces. Take That, Adolf! is a compilation of more than 500 stunningly restored comics covers published during World War II featuring America’s greatest super-villain curated by Mark Fertig, who also contributes an introductory essay examining comics’ coming-of-age amidst the greatest cataclysm in modern history. This magnificent oversized volume offers an unprecedented look at the moment when a bunch of talented dreamers and hustlers, most of them Jewish kids in New York, created iconic characters who battled it out with Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito while the fate of the world hung in the balance. From Superman and Captain America to propaganda and racism, Take That, Adolf! is a fascinating look at how legendary creators such as Joe Simon, Jack Kirby, Alex Schomburg, Will Eisner, and Lou Fine entertained millions of kids on the home front and buoyed the spirits of GIs fighting overseas by using Adolf Hitler as a punching bag. Ouch!
You can pre-order Take That Adolf! here. It will ship on February 15.
- Tom King Sketching at San Diego Comic-Con - July 19, 2018
- ComiXology Debuts 2nd Wave of Originals from Humphries, Firmansyah, Seeley, Norton, Kearney, Nicholson, Visaggio, Vaughn, Sable, Donaldson, Trotman, Reed, Doolin, McDonald, and Crook - July 18, 2018
- Oni to Publish New Scott Pilgrim Collections for 15th Anniversary - July 18, 2018
- Dark Horse Announces New Comic Based on Tom Clancy’s The Division, Plus a Coffee Table Book - July 18, 2018
- Did Marvel Just Tease the Return of Uncanny X-Men? - July 18, 2018