It’s a long long time since the very first one of these. I was 28 when I decided that an annual look back at the rumours and scoops of the year would be a good thing. 16 years later, that’s still to be determined. But here we go again with a self congratulatory pat on the back. Mostly.
So what are the stories we got wrong in 2016? Really wrong? Well, we started early with the news that Matthew Rosenberg was going to be writing for DC Comics. Instead he went to Marvel.
We also got it wrong that Scott Snyder would be moving from Batman to Detective Comics. I mean, that was the plan at the time, but things changed. Instead his plans for Detective Comics became All-Star Batman….
There was, however, no comic called Man Of Steel. And there was no The Super Man was renamed New Super Man.
We got it wrong that Earth 2 may feature the new Justice Society Of America,
And there really wasn’t a Captain Britain TV show…. and all of these DC TV rumours appeared to be utter bunkum. It happens. These were a little better… but not by much.
But the biggest wrong of the year was probably the news that the character of Tim Drake, Red Robin, was to die. Bleeding Cool ran the news, and DC Comics followed up with all sorts of teasers – but it was a bait and switch. He only died in the eyes of everyone else – apart from him and Mr Oz.
And do remember, some wrongs from one year work out for another… such as the news that ComiXology were to announce an all-you-can-eat subscription at a major comic convention. It happened. Just not when we thought it would…
What other very wrong things from the year stuck out? And no, hiring Jude Terror does not count.
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List, August 20th, 2017 – “A Dismal Sign Of The Problems That Marvel Will Face” - August 20, 2017
- Lying In The Gutters – 20th August 2017 – Nerd Blocked - August 20, 2017
- 36 Shots Of Cosplay From Flame Con, The Queer Comic Con In New York This Weekend - August 20, 2017
- A Drinking, Dancing Pig Explores His Weird World In ‘Hamfam’, Now On Kickstarter - August 19, 2017
- ‘Mech Cadet Yu’ By Greg Pak And Takeshi Miyazawa Will Be An Ongoing Series - August 19, 2017