Everybody loves the 1988 cult classic film They Live, about pro wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper, imbued with the power of magic sunglasses that allow him to see hidden aliens that secretly control humanity, chewing bubblegum and kicking ass… and he’s all out of bubblegum. But did you know that the film is also a racist message about Jews controlling the world? No? Well, that’s good, because that means you’re probably not a Neo-Nazi. It also means you’re probably not an idiot, because that’s not what the movie is about at all.
Unfortunately, that was somewhat unclear to Neo-Nazis, who have apparently been floating that theory so much on the internet that director John Carpenter himself was forced to take to Twitter to dispel it:
THEY LIVE is about yuppies and unrestrained capitalism. It has nothing to do with Jewish control of the world, which is slander and a lie.
— John Carpenter (@TheHorrorMaster) January 4, 2017
So there you have it, because, apparently, that needed to be said.
- ‘Death’ Artist Chris Bachalo Draws Sandman for Marvel in August - May 22, 2018
- Mike Norton’s Anti-Trump Webcomic Lil’ Donnie Collected at Image in August - May 22, 2018
- New Wolverine #1 Confirmed for September at Marvel - May 22, 2018
- Marvel’s Fantastic Four Relaunch by the Numbers - May 22, 2018
- Howard Chaykin Lampoons the Sordid History of Comics in New Image Series This August - May 22, 2018