Everybody loves the 1988 cult classic film They Live, about pro wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper, imbued with the power of magic sunglasses that allow him to see hidden aliens that secretly control humanity, chewing bubblegum and kicking ass… and he’s all out of bubblegum. But did you know that the film is also a racist message about Jews controlling the world? No? Well, that’s good, because that means you’re probably not a Neo-Nazi. It also means you’re probably not an idiot, because that’s not what the movie is about at all.
Unfortunately, that was somewhat unclear to Neo-Nazis, who have apparently been floating that theory so much on the internet that director John Carpenter himself was forced to take to Twitter to dispel it:
THEY LIVE is about yuppies and unrestrained capitalism. It has nothing to do with Jewish control of the world, which is slander and a lie.
— John Carpenter (@TheHorrorMaster) January 4, 2017
So there you have it, because, apparently, that needed to be said.
- Trish Stratus Returns for Evolution Dream Match Against Alexa Bliss - August 19, 2018
- Celestial Judgement is Upon the Marvel Universe, Plus Previews for All of Marvel’s 8/22 Releases - August 18, 2018
- Storm Tempted by the Dark Side in Previews for All of Next Week’s X-Men Comics - August 18, 2018
- Lumberjanes, Amazing World of Gumball, and More in All of BOOM!’s 8/22 Previews - August 18, 2018
- Tonight There’s Gonna Be a Mermin Jailbreak in Oni Previews for 8/28 - August 18, 2018