As Manuel, he played a slapstick comic foil to John Cleese‘s Basil Fawlty, and was generally the receiver of comedy violence – a few times actual violence, such as being hit hard on the head by Cleese’s saucepan, and suffering second-degree acid burns when his character was set on fire. But the role did give him a level of permanent fame, both in Britain and around the world.
Later, he took roles in Britain two biggest soap operas Coronation Street and Eastenders. He played roles in Big Finish’s Doctor Who audio dramas. Indeed he was a regular voice actor for children’s animation, shows like The Troubleshooter and That Peter Kay Thing and was a regular actor on BBC Radio 4 drama. He played The Book in the recent stage adaptation of Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy, played Tooley in the radio adaptation of Neil Gaiman‘s Neverwhere and played Tolliver Groat in the Discworld drama Going Postal.
He was diagnosed with vascular dementia four years ago, and after a bout of pneumonia earlier this year, he moved into a home for retired actors.
- Cosmic King Comic Store of Springfield, Missouri to Close - June 21, 2018
- House Of Comics, of Jacksonville, Florida, to Close at the End of the Month - June 21, 2018
- DC Solicited Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev’s Absolute Scarlet by Mistake? - June 21, 2018
- Flash #47 Sells Out Fast, Goes to Second Printing - June 21, 2018
- Titan Magazines Reprint Oni Rick & Morty Comics for UK Newsstand - June 21, 2018