Scott Dunbier launched the Absolute Edition at DC Comics to republish the Authority comics by Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch in a manner that outdid the then-impressive European oversized collections of the material. DC have published many Absolute Edition volumes since, and it was copied by all the big publishers as well.
When he was fired from DC Comics over issues related to the League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier book, he moved to IDW, where he innovated the Artists Edition format, reprinting original comic book pages of stories as close to the artwork as possible. Again, after many volumes at IDW, this was copied by everyone else.
And I detect his hand behind IDW’s latest premium format, The Artisan Edition. Smaller in size, in a cheaper format, and at a $50 price point, it’s made a more affordable original art version for the EC Work of Wally Wood and DC first issues of Jack Kirby.
And now, republishing just one issue of a comic book in the original art size format, but also including layout pages and other extras.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Artisan Edition – Hardcover – May 30, 2017
by Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird $50
This book reproduces all the original art to the first issue of one of the most important comic book phenomenons of the last 35 years — The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Scanned directly from the original art, mimicking the experience of the original hand drawn page, and also collecting all the layouts (also hand drawn) by the creators of what has been called this generation’s Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.
- What Will Heroes in Crisis’s Shocking Opener Be? [Potential Spoilers] - June 17, 2018
- DC Creators Will Be Able to Use Shazam, Legion, and JSA Whether or Not Doomsday Clock Has Finished - June 17, 2018
- Cloak and Dagger Classified Confirmed as Digital-First Series – Luke Cage and Jessica Jones to Follow? - June 17, 2018
- Lying In The Gutters – 17th June 2018 – Geoff Johns is Mister Ex… - June 17, 2018
- Top 100 Most-Ordered Comics and Graphic Novels in May 2018 – Action Comics #1000 Came 23rd - June 17, 2018