What a surprise to arrive in the post today…
Dave Sim is making all the original pages of Cerebus he has in his archive, available as reproduction prints, as part of the Kickstartered Cerebus Archive. You open them up and this is what you get, at full reproduction size. Here is Cerebus Archive Number Four.
And we move into Church And State, along with extra prints such as the page from the Epic Magazine colour Young Cerebus story, never before reprinted. And one of my particular favourites, Alan Moore as Marley’s Ghost.
You also get, in the same format, notes for each of the pages which can vary from how Dave Sim gets those panel borders to work…
… to narrative tricks using visual angles of view. But it also gives Dave Sim the chance to pontificate, both about his past and the way he sees the world, and the people in it today.
Which can include his sex life in humblebrag. But also onto the topic that saw many people disassociate themselves from him, about two-thirds of the way through the completed 300 issues of Cerebus. We get more about how women are just bundles of irrational emotion. Oh and how trans people are, well…Yup, and abnormal psychological pathology. Loving Cerebus and loving the work of Dave Sim, does sometimes force sectors of his audience, myself included, into performing gymnastic leaps of dissonance. This may be one of those occasions. I just wish he could have been at Nine Worlds this weekend.
You can find the Kickstarter appeal for Cerebus Archive Number Five – with pages from Jaka’s Story, here, currently with 117 backers and $14,695 CAN raised.
- San Diego Comic Con 2017 Badges On Sale On April 8th – 9am PT Noon ET 5pm BST - March 27, 2017
- DC Comics Sends Their Freelancers Big Blue Blankets… - March 27, 2017
- Manga Potrays President Donald Trump As Making Murder And Rape Legal - March 27, 2017
- Where To Buy The Watchmen Smiley Batman And Flash Covers If You Live In The UK - March 27, 2017
- The Biggest Spoilers For Secret Empire #0 You Can Find… If You Can Find Them - March 27, 2017