At the San Diego Comic-Con spotlight on J Michael Straczynski, screenwriter for Changeling, Thor and World War Z and creator of Babylon 5, Jeremiah and Sense 8 and comicbook writer on Amazing Spider-Man and Thor, he talked through a lot of his work past, present and future.
This included the comic book he created with Gary Frank for Top Cow, Midnight Nation in the year 2000. JMS said there had been TV/film interest for many years that he had regularly turned down.
But he has finally said yes to Gale Ann Hurd. She is one of the biggest genre producers there is with production and writing credits including Terminator, T2, Aliens, Alien Nation, Abyss, Hulk, Punisher, Aeon Flux and more recently The Walking Dead and Fear The Walking Dead.
Describing Midnight Nation as about the disenfranchised, the lost, the throwaways, the runaways, those who live on top of the world and under the world, he says that the story has become more important now that it ever has before, about how we are marginalised as citizens and what we lose in the course of that.
He and Gale Ann Hurd have taken Midnight Nation to Universal, who have agreed to pick it up as a series for development, and JMS is writing the pilot script.
He said he’s start writing the pilot in two weeks – or as we now call it, one week.
It comes alongside the announcement that MGM will be making a Rising Stars movie. And the news that he will no longer be writing comic books…
- Patrick Zircher Talks About His Trials With Editors - December 15, 2018
- New Ms Marvel Writer Seeks Mistakes Men Make When Writing About Teenage Girls - December 15, 2018
- ‘Neal Adams Is Full Of Crap’ – Roy Thomas Refutes Claims About the Kree/Skrull War - December 15, 2018
- Victoria McNally, Valiant’s Senior Marketing & Communications Manager, Also Out - December 15, 2018
- How The Graphic Novel Sale is Looking at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet - December 15, 2018