At the San Diego Comic-Con spotlight on J Michael Straczynski, screenwriter for Changeling, Thor and World War Z and creator of Babylon 5, Jeremiah and Sense 8 and comicbook writer on Amazing Spider-Man and Thor, he talked through a lot of his work past, present and future.
This included the comic book he created with Gary Frank for Top Cow, Midnight Nation in the year 2000. JMS said there had been TV/film interest for many years that he had regularly turned down.
But he has finally said yes to Gale Ann Hurd. She is one of the biggest genre producers there is with production and writing credits including Terminator, T2, Aliens, Alien Nation, Abyss, Hulk, Punisher, Aeon Flux and more recently The Walking Dead and Fear The Walking Dead.
Describing Midnight Nation as about the disenfranchised, the lost, the throwaways, the runaways, those who live on top of the world and under the world, he says that the story has become more important now that it ever has before, about how we are marginalised as citizens and what we lose in the course of that.
He and Gale Ann Hurd have taken Midnight Nation to Universal, who have agreed to pick it up as a series for development, and JMS is writing the pilot script.
He said he’s start writing the pilot in two weeks – or as we now call it, one week.
It comes alongside the announcement that MGM will be making a Rising Stars movie. And the news that he will no longer be writing comic books…
- Christopher Jones’ Cover For Doctor Who Day’s Thirteenth Doctor #1 - October 16, 2018
- More DC Comics Move From 20 to 22 Pages For $3.99 With Aquaman and Justice League Joining In - October 16, 2018
- Dan Slott Applies to Trademark a Comic Book Called ‘Future Me’ - October 16, 2018
- Details On The ‘King-Size’ Kirby Is Fantastic Hardcover From Marvel Comics – The First of Many - October 16, 2018
- Galactus Comes to the Fantastic Four in January - October 16, 2018