Praise is coming from every direction for Jeff Lemire’s comic Plutona, and because the trade paperback releases in less than a month, the spotlight hits it once again. Written by Lemire, with art by Emi Lenox, the Plutona TP collects the entire mini-series.
So, what’s it all about?
“Five suburban kids make a shocking discovery while exploring the woods one day after school… the body of the world’s greatest superhero, Plutona, laying dead among the mud and grass. This discovery sends them on a dark journey that will threaten to tear apart their friendship and their lives.”
This is one of those titles that I just missed out on, so I always love when TP’s release to remind me what I forgot to read. Looking at the list of praise for the series, it’s a pretty convincing bet that it’s worth the purchase.
Fellow Image Comic creators spoke about the book including Skottie Young and Scott Snyder.
“Plutona is the kind of character driven tale that we’ve all come to love Jeff Lemire for, but the real star here is the beautifully drawn pages by Emi Lenox. Her cartooning crafts a world I can feel by just looking at it. We’re lucky to have Jeff and Emi making books like this.”
“Like the very best comics, Plutona transcends any single genre. At once a gripping mystery, an epic superhero tale, and a deeply affecting coming-of-age story, Plutona presents Lemire and Lenox at the height of their powers—a masterful meditation on heroism, identity, and growing up. One of the best books of the year.”
With all that said, there’s one voice that matters the most, and that’s the voice of creator Jeff Lemire. I took to Twitter to ask him to weigh in on the discussion…
labour of love.
— Jeff Lemire (@JeffLemire) June 14, 2016
Now that’s something I can support! I’ll be sure to pick up a copy of the TP when it releases on July 20th, and you should too.
- The Retro 90s Style We Loved In Pokemon TCG Is Back! - November 12, 2016
- #OddlyCrypticTweets Purpose Revealed! A Chat With Otis Frampton About The Future Of Oddly Normal - November 12, 2016
- A Deep Conversation About Storytelling: BOOM! Studios Discovering New Worlds At NYCC 16′ - October 8, 2016
- “SCOTT SNYDER LIKES MY BOOK!” The Image Comics Storytelling Panel NYCC 16’ - October 8, 2016
- “You Learn A Lot From Reading” Be Your Own Superhero: Intersectional Feminism In Comics At NYCC 16′ - October 8, 2016