Over the Garden Wall is super cute. The art style makes me feel warm and fuzzy. However, don’t let it fool you…this comic includes some deep, thought-provoking content. The first story, “Dreamland Melodies” is written and illustrated by Jim Campbell, while the second entitled, “Homeland,” is written by Amalia Levari, illustrated by Cara McGee. With this type of balance…you get a bit of everything!
A fun story about wildlife creatures…
…and a deeper, much more heavy story…
Now don’t get me wrong, I’m all for the whimsical stuff, but I’m a bigger fan of the dark and dreary. Amalia Levari knows how to tug at my heart strings, and I’m sure you’ll feel it too. As I read, I couldn’t believe the amount of emotion I felt for Anna’s character. There’s a scene in which she watches a couple from afar that is really painful. All in all, it’s excellent writing.
One thing is for certain, Over the Garden Wall is a comic you don’t want to miss. Be sure to pick up the second issue today.
- The Retro 90s Style We Loved In Pokemon TCG Is Back! - November 12, 2016
- #OddlyCrypticTweets Purpose Revealed! A Chat With Otis Frampton About The Future Of Oddly Normal - November 12, 2016
- A Deep Conversation About Storytelling: BOOM! Studios Discovering New Worlds At NYCC 16′ - October 8, 2016
- “SCOTT SNYDER LIKES MY BOOK!” The Image Comics Storytelling Panel NYCC 16’ - October 8, 2016
- “You Learn A Lot From Reading” Be Your Own Superhero: Intersectional Feminism In Comics At NYCC 16′ - October 8, 2016