In the nineties, Garth Ennis and John McCrea, still relatively unknown comic book creators, has a run for a couple of years of DC’s comic The Demon. Spinning out of that came Hitman, and Garth also got to do Hellblazer, and then Preacher.
While Hitman was lately, belatedly collected in trade paperback form, all five years of it, those issues of The Demon were not. Until now
Except that The Demon and The Phantom Stranger, as fictional characters don’t know that yet. Which means in today’s issue of Section Eight, which turns into a rap battle between Phantom Stranger and The Demon, they get to call for such a collection to happen.
This is possibly also the first time Jen Grunwald has appeared in a DC comic book.
It’s basically an ad for when the collections start appearing. Something today’s Chew is getting up to as well.
Oh and while being a very silly issue indeed, it comes together into one of the more poignant endings Garth Ennis has ever written with a cliffhanger that guarantees you pick up the final issue.
Man… did not see that coming. Mind you the Demon and the Stranger aren’t the only ne laying down some phat lyrics… check out Angela: Queen of Hel #1…
Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics, London. Currently hosting the Observer/Comica Graphic Story Story Exhibition.
- ‘Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man’ Makes Spidey An Outlaw Again In #297 - July 25, 2017
- Marvel Teams Thor & Hulk In New Comic From Jeremy Whitley, Simone Buanfantino And Alti Firmansyah - July 25, 2017
- Kieron Gillen Writing Star Wars Monthly Comic With Salvador Larocca From November - July 25, 2017
- Here’s What’s In The $500 ‘Infinity Gauntlet’ Slipcase - July 25, 2017
- Marvel Legacy: Guardians Of The Galaxy Start A New Mission In #146, Coming This November - July 25, 2017