In the nineties, Garth Ennis and John McCrea, still relatively unknown comic book creators, has a run for a couple of years of DC’s comic The Demon. Spinning out of that came Hitman, and Garth also got to do Hellblazer, and then Preacher.
While Hitman was lately, belatedly collected in trade paperback form, all five years of it, those issues of The Demon were not. Until now
Except that The Demon and The Phantom Stranger, as fictional characters don’t know that yet. Which means in today’s issue of Section Eight, which turns into a rap battle between Phantom Stranger and The Demon, they get to call for such a collection to happen.
This is possibly also the first time Jen Grunwald has appeared in a DC comic book.
It’s basically an ad for when the collections start appearing. Something today’s Chew is getting up to as well.
Oh and while being a very silly issue indeed, it comes together into one of the more poignant endings Garth Ennis has ever written with a cliffhanger that guarantees you pick up the final issue.
Man… did not see that coming. Mind you the Demon and the Stranger aren’t the only ne laying down some phat lyrics… check out Angela: Queen of Hel #1…
Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics, London. Currently hosting the Observer/Comica Graphic Story Story Exhibition.
- Walking Dead Day Announced For October 13th, With Retailer Exclusive Variants Of #1 - May 23, 2018
- Zorro and Edgar Rice Burroughs Return in American Mythology August 2018 Solicits - May 23, 2018
- 5 Presents Brian Michael Bendis Left Behind for the Marvel Universe in Invincible Iron Man #600 [Spoilers] - May 23, 2018
- A New Look – and Name – For Amadeus Cho’s Hulk (SPOILERS) - May 23, 2018
- Midnight Tiger Strong and Double Jumpers: Full Circle Jerks Launch From Action Lab in August 2018 Solicitations - May 23, 2018