Jermaine from Acme Comics (aka Lord Retail) writes,
I wanted to share with you our latest Acme Comics exclusive variant cover. I’ve been a fan of Transformers since kids brought the first release Decepticons to school in the early 80s when I don’t think I’d seen so much as a televison commercial for them yet. And Transformers #1 was one of the first comics I remember owning.
We’ve done a lot of awesome variant covers in the past (Serenity Leaves on the Wind #1 by Joe Quinones, Archie #1 by Dan Dos Santos, etc) but we are especially proud of this one in a very sentimental way.
We’d been in talks with IDW since the first part of the year about doing something Transformers related and finally the idea came to me. Transformers deluxe toys in the 80s always had amazing box art that I would stare at to see what was happening and if I knew the characters and I know I wasn’t alone in that. From that notion, I had the idea to duplicate the 1986 back of box artwork featuring Metroplex, but with our Acme Comics Presents storefront as Metroplex’ body. I approached Casey Coller who is a friend of Acme and one of the premiere Transformer cover artists and he read my mind exactly. Casey featured some of the character that will be prominent in the storyline that begins with issue #45, but used the same poses and positions from the original box art to maintain the homage. Finally colorist Joanna Lafuente captured the perfect tones to instantly activate nostalgia!
This exclusive cover is limited to 1,000 copies worldwide and will be available at TF Con Charlotte, America’s largest fan run Transformers related convention, on October 16-18th of 2015. After that, remaining copies will be available through our website www.acmecomics.com
Acme Comics is located in Greensboro NC and has been open for 32 years this year.
- Filip Sablik and Ross Richie Address ComicsPRO on BOOM! Studios as a Premier Publisher at Diamond - February 23, 2018
- Publishing Dates for DC Zoom and DC Ink Titles Locked Down - February 23, 2018
- Dynamite Entertainment to Become a Premier Publisher at Diamond Comics (CONFIRMED) - February 23, 2018
- Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat to Adapt Own Doctor Who Episodes as Target Novelisations - February 23, 2018
- Return of Bruce Banner Hulk in Avengers #684 Tops Advance Reorders - February 23, 2018