By Chris Thompson
As a long-term comics fan – and now events manager at Orbital Comics in central London – it’s always fun to be part of something more than just the average signing. Meeting your favourite creator and having them sign your stuff is all well and good, but what I really love are the little things that happen in between … All the anecdotes and stories creators share while people are in line or waiting at their table.
It got me thinking: what if there was a way to do that *and* provide a framework wherein people could talk about what went into the making of a particular book? And so, the Orbital Directors’ Commentaries were born! We’ve since had the pleasure of hosting Jason Aaron & Jason Latour to discuss Southern Bastards, Chip Zdarsky talking about Howard The Duck, and Mike Carey discussing the end of The Unwritten: Apocalypse.
But last December Becky Cloonan took to the Orbital stage for a guided tour through the first 3 issues of Gotham Academy. Images from the books were projected on a screen next to Becky, and she went through page-by-page – sharing stories, revealing secrets, and giving the kind of insight you couldn’t get anywhere else.
We decided to record the evening for posterity and so – thanks to the expert filming and editing of Robin Harman – we’re pleased to share it with you this week as the first volume of Gotham Academy finally sees print.
If you haven’t already checked out what Becky Cloonan, Brenden Fletcher & Karl Kerschl’s are doing then now is the time – and if you’ve been reading along faithfully each month then here’s your chance to get a sneak peek behind the curtain. So enjoy, and keep your eyes peeled for future Orbital Director’s Commentary nights!
- Giant Robots, Ninja Turtles, Monster Motors And More – Talking With Nick Roche - October 26, 2015
- Processing The Troop: Behind The Page With Joshua Cassara - October 26, 2015
- What Bengal Wants: More Wolverine Covers & Work With Rick Remender - October 23, 2015
- A Story That Keeps You Coming Back For More – We Stand On Guard So Far (#1-4) - October 23, 2015
- ‘Let’s Start A System Where The Creators Get Most Of The Money’ – David Lloyd Talks ACES Weekly - October 23, 2015