Courtesy of Heritage Auctions, an unrestored copy of Action Comics #1 published by DC Comics in 1938, featuring the first appearance of Superman, and graded by CGC in 3.0 condition just sold for $310,700. Part of a $7.17 million auction, it was part of The Prospect Mountain Collection up for sale, which in total topped $1 million. This made it the third highest grossing auction in comic book history.
The auctions also included $179, 250 for Frank Frazetta’s original paperback book cover painting for Jongor Fights Back, a Journey Into Mystery #83 with the first appearance of the Marvel Thor selling for $179,250, a CGC 7.0 graded Pep Comics #22, the first appearance of Archie selling for $143,400, a 6.5 CGC graded Captain America Comics #1 sold for $107,550 and a 5.0 CCG graded copy of Batman #1,selling for $83,650.
Bill Everett’s original cover art for Strange Tales #152 sold for $71,700, while Ron Wilson and John Romita, Sr.’s original cover art for Avengers #118 sold for $65,725.
A CGC-graded 5.5 copy of All Star Comics #8, the first appearance of Wonder Woman, sold for $44,813, over three times its guide price, and CGC-graded 3.5 first appearance of Aquaman from More Fun Comics #7 sold for $38,838, over 10 times guide price.
That’s what announcing films does for those high grade rare items…
- The Full DC Comics Catalogue for August 2018 - May 21, 2018
- Frank Miller and John Romita’s Superman: Year One for DC’s Black Label is Late Already - May 21, 2018
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, Batwoman Confirmed as Cancelled in August - May 21, 2018
- Stanley “Artgerm” Lau’s First 2 Covers for Fantastic Four #1 - May 21, 2018
- Hellana, Lookers, and Jungle Fantasy for Boundless August 2018 Solicits - May 21, 2018