The New York Comic Fest took place as a one-day comic con in White Plains, New York on Saturday, vying for regional attention alongside Eternal Con in Long Island and NY Special Edition by Reed Pop in New York City. It was a rare configuration of comics fandom to have so many events happening at once, but as Ann Nocenti said to me “Why can’t we have them all?” There is enough comic enthusiasm in the region to stretch that far, to be sure. But for those who made it out to New York Comic Fest, fans and professionals alike, the day was a unique one with its own flavor and spirit of celebration.
There were spotlight focus panels on the history of Marvel comics, Batman, Writing Comics, and more. And the icing on the cake was having many knowledgeable guests taking part in the panels who had “been there” during significant milestones in comics history like Jim Salicrup, Ann Nocenti, Denny O’Neil, Paul Levitz, and the much-in-demand Scott Snyder and Mark Waid. Walking through artist alley which was, essentially, everywhere rather than in a separate area, you’d also spot Bill Sienkiewicz, Jim Steranko, Fred Van Lente, and Dean Haspiel as well as a number of indie creators. In all, many of the guests and attendees were the cream of the crop in the New York region and their support made NYCF special in a way that reinforces the need for regional shows.
Here’s a photogallery from the event:
- Giant Robots, Ninja Turtles, Monster Motors And More – Talking With Nick Roche - October 26, 2015
- Processing The Troop: Behind The Page With Joshua Cassara - October 26, 2015
- What Bengal Wants: More Wolverine Covers & Work With Rick Remender - October 23, 2015
- A Story That Keeps You Coming Back For More – We Stand On Guard So Far (#1-4) - October 23, 2015
- ‘Let’s Start A System Where The Creators Get Most Of The Money’ – David Lloyd Talks ACES Weekly - October 23, 2015