The Associated Press reports that South Carolina is to remove $52,000 from the College of Charleston’s budget. Which, coincidentally, is exactly the same sum the college spent on a program that saw the College of Charleston assign Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel to incoming freshmen last summer
Rep. Garry Smith made the proposal is quoted as explaining “I understand diversity and academic freedom… This is purely promotion of a lifestyle with no academic debate” and its the campus wide requirement he objects to.
The House Ways and Means Committee also defeated by a vote to restore the money to the college. A proposal, pointing out the ludicrousness of the situation, suggested that the South Carolina legislators be responsible for approving every book on every college reading list, was sadly withdrawn…
It’s not the first time Fun Home has come under such scrutiny and outrage. And you know what? Won’t be the last. People are weird.
- DC Comics April 2018 Catalog – Solicits From Action Comics #1000 to Splitting Batman In Two… - January 22, 2018
- DC Comics Cancels Trinity With #22 in April 2018 - January 22, 2018
- Will Marvel’s New Young Guns Move the Needle? - January 22, 2018
- 20 Previews of Free Comic Book Day 2018 Titles, from Barrier to Relay to 2000AD Reneged - January 22, 2018
- Frankensteining Marvel Comics Solicits for April 2018 - January 22, 2018