The Associated Press reports that South Carolina is to remove $52,000 from the College of Charleston’s budget. Which, coincidentally, is exactly the same sum the college spent on a program that saw the College of Charleston assign Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel to incoming freshmen last summer
Rep. Garry Smith made the proposal is quoted as explaining “I understand diversity and academic freedom… This is purely promotion of a lifestyle with no academic debate” and its the campus wide requirement he objects to.
The House Ways and Means Committee also defeated by a vote to restore the money to the college. A proposal, pointing out the ludicrousness of the situation, suggested that the South Carolina legislators be responsible for approving every book on every college reading list, was sadly withdrawn…
It’s not the first time Fun Home has come under such scrutiny and outrage. And you know what? Won’t be the last. People are weird.
- People Are Adding “Nick Spencer Disclaimers” To Their Captain America T-Shirts - April 23, 2017
- Dark Matter Widens The Divide At DC Comics Between Dan DiDio And Geoff Johns - April 23, 2017
- Killing The 5 Year Timeline – Superman, Flash And Blue Beetle Spoilers For The Week Ahead, Rumbling Around C2E2 (UPDATE) - April 23, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List 23rd April 2017 – Batman And Superman Beat Secret Empire, But Redneck And Monstress Rocket Up The Chart - April 23, 2017
- No Gays In Nineties X-Men? That’s What Greek Gods And Goddesses Are For… - April 23, 2017