Antony Johnston (no relation) has a new Image comic book out, Umbral. He’s also been looking at the numbers coming in. On Tumblr, he writes,
For Umbral #1, 70% of our orders came from less than 30% of Diamond accounts. That’s every store that ordered 10 or more copies.
If you move that threshold up to 20 copies, you’re then accounting for fully 50% of our orders; and that came from just 10% of Diamond accounts.
And those numbers don’t even include stores that ordered zero copies. It may surprise you to learn that some stores literally only order Marvel + DC books, nothing else.
So think on that. More than 70% of Diamond accounts didn’t even order 10 copies of a brand new Image #1.
You know what the most amazing part is? Ten years ago, that number would have been more like 80%.
Now, I haven’t seen a per-store breakdown of our orders for the latest issues, but I’d wager the split is even more pronounced now, as our numbers generally decline.*
Still a long way to go, baby.
- Moving The Needle – Bleeding Cool’s Top 11 Hottest Writers, April 2017 - April 30, 2017
- Moving The Needle – Bleeding Cool’s Top 11 Hottest Artists, April 2017 - April 30, 2017
- Who’s Behind The Vault Door In Doctor Who Series Ten? (VIDEO) - April 30, 2017
- Lying In The Gutters 30th April 2017 – I Like Big Bids And I Cannot Lie - April 30, 2017
- SCOOP: The Return Of The Elementals From Dynamite Entertainment - April 30, 2017