Antony Johnston (no relation) has a new Image comic book out, Umbral. He’s also been looking at the numbers coming in. On Tumblr, he writes,
For Umbral #1, 70% of our orders came from less than 30% of Diamond accounts. That’s every store that ordered 10 or more copies.
If you move that threshold up to 20 copies, you’re then accounting for fully 50% of our orders; and that came from just 10% of Diamond accounts.
And those numbers don’t even include stores that ordered zero copies. It may surprise you to learn that some stores literally only order Marvel + DC books, nothing else.
So think on that. More than 70% of Diamond accounts didn’t even order 10 copies of a brand new Image #1.
You know what the most amazing part is? Ten years ago, that number would have been more like 80%.
Now, I haven’t seen a per-store breakdown of our orders for the latest issues, but I’d wager the split is even more pronounced now, as our numbers generally decline.*
Still a long way to go, baby.
- More Comics Folk Attend Anti-Trump Women’s Marches Around The World #WomensMarch - January 21, 2017
- James Hudnall Pleads For His Friends To Give Trump A Chance - January 21, 2017
- Comics Folk React To (Or Are Part Of) The Women’s Marches Against Donald Trump - January 21, 2017
- Peter Capaldi Joins The Anti-Trump Women’s March In London – Potential Spoiler For The 13th Doctor? - January 21, 2017
- Firefly Fans Represent In Anti-Trump Women’s March In Chicago… - January 21, 2017