Originally, it was meant to be Sarah Jane Adventures. After a request from the BBC to include gay characters in their series, the producers of SJA decided that Luke, Sarah Jane’s adopted son was intended to come out while at university. However, the death of Elisabeth Sladen and the subsequent cancellation of the show put paid to that plan.
But now, with the second series of Wizards And Aliens airing on CBBC, Bleeding Cool has been told by a BBC source that one of the main young characters will self identify as gay before the end of the series.
Last year, a team of experts told the BBC that increased visibility of gay characters on children’s television was desirable. A number of creators have confirmed that characters in kids TV shows were gay, but in the actual show it’s been a rarity, with a character in kids soap Byker Grove being a rare exception.
For some, this kind of thing will be too much. But no one seems to have many issues with heterosexual representations in kids TV shows, whether that be married couples, or people having boyfriends and girlfriends. This is nothing more than the potential for someone to be boyfriend and boyfriend.
And, as with many things in life, it’s about time.
- Universal FanCon of Baltimore 2018 Suddenly Postponed, One Week Before Event - April 20, 2018
- Gideon Falls, Power Rangers, Her Infernal Descent, and Sonic Get Multiple Printings - April 20, 2018
- What Happened to Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely, and Doug Mahnke on Action Comics #1000? - April 20, 2018
- Matt Fraction… Not on Jimmy Olsen? DC Fresh Stop? - April 20, 2018
- David F. Walker on a Flash Comic? DC Fresh Start… - April 20, 2018