Originally, it was meant to be Sarah Jane Adventures. After a request from the BBC to include gay characters in their series, the producers of SJA decided that Luke, Sarah Jane’s adopted son was intended to come out while at university. However, the death of Elisabeth Sladen and the subsequent cancellation of the show put paid to that plan.
But now, with the second series of Wizards And Aliens airing on CBBC, Bleeding Cool has been told by a BBC source that one of the main young characters will self identify as gay before the end of the series.
Last year, a team of experts told the BBC that increased visibility of gay characters on children’s television was desirable. A number of creators have confirmed that characters in kids TV shows were gay, but in the actual show it’s been a rarity, with a character in kids soap Byker Grove being a rare exception.
For some, this kind of thing will be too much. But no one seems to have many issues with heterosexual representations in kids TV shows, whether that be married couples, or people having boyfriends and girlfriends. This is nothing more than the potential for someone to be boyfriend and boyfriend.
And, as with many things in life, it’s about time.
- Separated at Bath: Rob Liefeld and the New Domino Annual - July 22, 2018
- How Many Times Can Marvel Exclusively Give Away the Same Exclusive Variant Cover at San Diego Comic-Con? - July 22, 2018
- Marvel True Believers Panel Previews Squirrel Girl, Marvel Rising, Spider-Man/Deadpool, Domino, Runaways, and Many More - July 22, 2018
- A Look Inside the Increasingly Late Mister Miracle at San Diego Comic-Con - July 22, 2018
- Swag from the Marvel True Believers Panel at San Diego Comic-Con - July 22, 2018