Originally, it was meant to be Sarah Jane Adventures. After a request from the BBC to include gay characters in their series, the producers of SJA decided that Luke, Sarah Jane’s adopted son was intended to come out while at university. However, the death of Elisabeth Sladen and the subsequent cancellation of the show put paid to that plan.
But now, with the second series of Wizards And Aliens airing on CBBC, Bleeding Cool has been told by a BBC source that one of the main young characters will self identify as gay before the end of the series.
Last year, a team of experts told the BBC that increased visibility of gay characters on children’s television was desirable. A number of creators have confirmed that characters in kids TV shows were gay, but in the actual show it’s been a rarity, with a character in kids soap Byker Grove being a rare exception.
For some, this kind of thing will be too much. But no one seems to have many issues with heterosexual representations in kids TV shows, whether that be married couples, or people having boyfriends and girlfriends. This is nothing more than the potential for someone to be boyfriend and boyfriend.
And, as with many things in life, it’s about time.
- “He Pushed Us Forward” – Marvel Comics’ Tribute To Bernie Wrightson - April 26, 2017
- Well That Was Quick. X-Men Gold #2 Brings Back The Politics… (SPOILERS) - April 26, 2017
- Rewriting The DC Universe Today In Flash #21 – Bringing It All Back Again (SPOILERS) - April 26, 2017
- Today, Cassandra Cain Finally Chooses Her New Name (SPOILERS) - April 26, 2017
- Rewriting The Life Of Superman, Lois Lane And Superboy, Today (SPOILERS) - April 26, 2017