At the weekend, Bleeding Cool reported rumours that the US Doctor Who comics licence, to conclude at the end of the year, was likely to go to either Boom! or Titan.
We now have a few more notes and another name to go with that.
Firstly, I’m told that Titan Comics have proposed buying the UK published Doctor Who Monthly, which holds the UK comics licence for its serialised strips, from Panini and publishing it in line with their other media magazines, and solving the issue of a lack of exports for each countries’ publication. Based in London, they would also be relatively local and on the same time zone.
Boom! however have shown enormous success with recent licences such as Adventure Time and Regular Show, and it would make the publication of a rumoured planned-at-IDW Doctor Who series written by Mark Waid very easy. They also have a greater US market penetration, growing with the acquisition of Archaia.
But I’m also told that Arcana are throwing a lot of money at a last minute bid, with the logline that the BBC would be Arcana’s only licence. I’m not sure if that would be enough, but they are keen.
So… who do you want to make your Doctor Who comics?
UPDATE: Boom! Studios are out. Could the BBC have chosen closer to home?
- Through The Eyes Of An Elephant-Man - January 22, 2017
- ‘Bout Time … Deadpool Meets Gwenpool - January 22, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 22nd January 2017 – “I Ordered Really Low On Monsters Unleashed But It Wasn’t Low Enough” - January 22, 2017
- So Why Were DC Comics April 2017 Solicitations Delayed A Week Anyway? - January 22, 2017
- Warren Ellis, On Whether Nazis Should Be Punched In The Face, Or Not - January 22, 2017