At the weekend, Bleeding Cool reported rumours that the US Doctor Who comics licence, to conclude at the end of the year, was likely to go to either Boom! or Titan.
We now have a few more notes and another name to go with that.
Firstly, I’m told that Titan Comics have proposed buying the UK published Doctor Who Monthly, which holds the UK comics licence for its serialised strips, from Panini and publishing it in line with their other media magazines, and solving the issue of a lack of exports for each countries’ publication. Based in London, they would also be relatively local and on the same time zone.
Boom! however have shown enormous success with recent licences such as Adventure Time and Regular Show, and it would make the publication of a rumoured planned-at-IDW Doctor Who series written by Mark Waid very easy. They also have a greater US market penetration, growing with the acquisition of Archaia.
But I’m also told that Arcana are throwing a lot of money at a last minute bid, with the logline that the BBC would be Arcana’s only licence. I’m not sure if that would be enough, but they are keen.
So… who do you want to make your Doctor Who comics?
UPDATE: Boom! Studios are out. Could the BBC have chosen closer to home?
- Unboxing April 2017’s Loot Crate And Skybound – With Comics From X-Files To Extremity… - April 28, 2017
- Digital Sales Down, Print Sales Up, The Paperback Is Powering Back Up - April 28, 2017
- There Will Be Two America #4 Comics In Comic Stores A Week Of Each Other - April 28, 2017
- Two Iowa Comic Book Stores Close, One Week Of Each Other - April 28, 2017
- Jae Lee And Brian Stelfreeze FOC Covers For Jim Henson And Victor LaValle.. - April 28, 2017