At the weekend, Bleeding Cool reported rumours that the US Doctor Who comics licence, to conclude at the end of the year, was likely to go to either Boom! or Titan.
We now have a few more notes and another name to go with that.
Firstly, I’m told that Titan Comics have proposed buying the UK published Doctor Who Monthly, which holds the UK comics licence for its serialised strips, from Panini and publishing it in line with their other media magazines, and solving the issue of a lack of exports for each countries’ publication. Based in London, they would also be relatively local and on the same time zone.
Boom! however have shown enormous success with recent licences such as Adventure Time and Regular Show, and it would make the publication of a rumoured planned-at-IDW Doctor Who series written by Mark Waid very easy. They also have a greater US market penetration, growing with the acquisition of Archaia.
But I’m also told that Arcana are throwing a lot of money at a last minute bid, with the logline that the BBC would be Arcana’s only licence. I’m not sure if that would be enough, but they are keen.
So… who do you want to make your Doctor Who comics?
UPDATE: Boom! Studios are out. Could the BBC have chosen closer to home?
- Are We Getting an Original Unity Omnibus from Valiant Entertainment? - January 21, 2018
- 24-Page Preview of Z-People #1, Another of Sitcomics’ 64-Page $3.99 Comics - January 21, 2018
- More from Glenat’s Conan the Barbarian Series Starting This Year - January 21, 2018
- Hannah Blumenreich’s Official Free Comic Book Day 2018 Poster - January 21, 2018
- Jeepers Creepers by Marc Andreyko and Kewber Baal, from Dynamite in April - January 21, 2018