But here’s the first physical evidence. A double page splash from Grant Morrison and Yanick Paquette’s upcoming Wonder Woman Earth One, joining the original graphic novel series Superman Earth One and Batman Earth One on the shelves. And hopefully plumping up a Wonder Woman entry in next year’s Essential DC catalogue…
Here’s what we might be looking forward to…
So Marston had all these ideas and it was very deep, there was a book by him which was hidden in the DC Comics vaults because they didn’t really want anyone to see it, and a friend of mine at DC sneaked it out for me one time. And it’s this thing, and honestly you can’t read it, it’s deranged, it’s like the guys just done mescaline or something, talking about his sexual theories.
…But then Marston died, and that energy left the strip, it just disappeared… when you took the sex out of Wonder Woman, the thing went flat. And the sales died immediately after Marston himself died and never ever recovered.
… I think I’ve found a way, but I’m not gonna tell you what I’ve done because hopefully the Wonder Woman series will be out next year sometime or thereabouts. But I think I’ve found a way to get all that back in again but it took a lot of reading. This has been the hardest project I’ve ever done.
That Superman’s meant to be this ultimate expression of masculinity and he still gets to be sexual, while Wonder Woman’s meant to be the ultimate expression of womanhood and yet she isn’t allowed anything to do with sex.
Expect solicitations any day now.
- How Did Retailers Feel About Free Comic Book Day 2017? - May 26, 2017
- San Francisco Giants’ Hunter Pence To Open Comic Store In Houston With Comic Book Men’s Ming Chen - May 26, 2017
- Jae Lee’s New Creator-Owned Comic To Be Announced Today At Phoenix Comicon - May 26, 2017
- No More Sam Wilson Or Steve Rogers – It’s Just Captain America Going Forward - May 26, 2017
- Bill Willingham’s Lark’s Killer, Previewed At Phoenix Comicon For $20 - May 26, 2017