This summer, Top Cow did something somewhat revolutionary for one of the top comic publishers. They decided to launch a campaign to bring back Marc Silvestri’s Cyber Force in a way that makes the old Coke or Pepsi taste tests pale in comparison. Through a Kickstarter campaign, they were able to raise over $100,000 to develop, print, and give away the first five issues of the new series to fans. The intent was to create a scenario where comic shops could literally give away full sized printed comics to their customers and let the fans decide if they want to continue beyond the nearly half-year of free content. In theory, that should benefit everyone – retailers will be able to give away content and potentially grow customers for the series, fans can read and collect the first five issues with no financial investment, and Top Cow is able to reinvent one of the original Image properties for a new generation of fans without pinning their success on how well a new first issue would do under the normal constraints of distribution.
You can find the full article in Bleeding Cool Magazine #1 at a comics retailer near you. Here is the Bleeding Cool Directory of retailers who have shown special support to the magazine and this website. Are you a retailer who would like to be included? Contact us.
- Warner Bros Film SDCC 2018 Hall H Presentation Live Blog: Aquaman and Shazam! - July 21, 2018
- Sony SDCC 2018 Hall H Presentation: Spider-Verse Time - July 20, 2018
- Transformers Bumblebee SDCC 2018 Hall H Presentation - July 20, 2018
- Universal Studios SDCC 2018 Hall H Presentation: Halloween and Glass - July 20, 2018
- Marvel Games SDCC 2018 Live Blog: Unlimited Future Fight Force Champions - July 19, 2018