This summer, Top Cow did something somewhat revolutionary for one of the top comic publishers. They decided to launch a campaign to bring back Marc Silvestri’s Cyber Force in a way that makes the old Coke or Pepsi taste tests pale in comparison. Through a Kickstarter campaign, they were able to raise over $100,000 to develop, print, and give away the first five issues of the new series to fans. The intent was to create a scenario where comic shops could literally give away full sized printed comics to their customers and let the fans decide if they want to continue beyond the nearly half-year of free content. In theory, that should benefit everyone – retailers will be able to give away content and potentially grow customers for the series, fans can read and collect the first five issues with no financial investment, and Top Cow is able to reinvent one of the original Image properties for a new generation of fans without pinning their success on how well a new first issue would do under the normal constraints of distribution.
You can find the full article in Bleeding Cool Magazine #1 at a comics retailer near you. Here is the Bleeding Cool Directory of retailers who have shown special support to the magazine and this website. Are you a retailer who would like to be included? Contact us.
- ‘Happy Days’, ‘Joanie Loves Chaci’ Star Erin Moran Dead At 56 - April 22, 2017
- Frank Miller’s Sin City Goes Way Back In Time: Mid-20th Century, And Several Hundred Years Before That - April 22, 2017
- Frank Miller On His Possible Upcoming Superman Project, And The Genesis Of The Batman V Superman Dynamic - April 22, 2017
- Wonder Woman’s Iconic Moment: The Pre-History Of The Character As Revealed In The Wonder Woman Film - April 21, 2017
- IDW C2E2: Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, Walt Simonson, Bernie Wrightson, Star Wars, DuckTales, And Lots Of Other Good Stuff - April 21, 2017