Ryan Kelly, artist on DC Vertigo’s Saucer Country, and part-time Minneapolis College of Art and Design tutor, has been tweeting about an issue that rather affects comic book freelance creators;
You’re now looking at a guy with no health insurance #imfucked
I have #trigeminalneuralgia, medications, appointments w/ doctors and MN axed my health insurance because I have money in my savings account
I mean, I WAS SAVING MONEY for the kids college, and I got penalized for it. I’m a sick person and bam, my health insurance is gone.
What am i supposed to do go on a shopping spree tomorrow so I can health insurance in this Country?
Rich, healthy people who don’t need health insurance get health insurance, yet I have chronic pain and I need it more. #trigeminalneuralgia
My depleting medical condition just means I have to sell off more of my fucking artwork for peanuts so I can see doctors and not die.
I’m always pulling myself up by my boot straps but Please vote Obama so I can get me some health care exchanges and not be in pain. end rant
With an increasing freelance base and an aging creative population, this is the kind of problem that may not be going away any time soon.
- Expect A New Main X-Men Title And Star Wars Title Announced Soon – ECCC? - February 26, 2017
- Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes – Spider-Man, Flash, Star Wars, Harley Quinn And Unworthy Thor - February 25, 2017
- When Spider-Man Threw Up A Gang Signal To The Latin Kings Of Chicago - February 25, 2017
- When Five Guys Noticed Their Plug In Spider-Man - February 25, 2017
- Unboxing The February 2017 ZBox – Superheroines! And Everyone Fights Over Wonder Woman! - February 25, 2017