Ryan Kelly, artist on DC Vertigo’s Saucer Country, and part-time Minneapolis College of Art and Design tutor, has been tweeting about an issue that rather affects comic book freelance creators;
You’re now looking at a guy with no health insurance #imfucked
I have #trigeminalneuralgia, medications, appointments w/ doctors and MN axed my health insurance because I have money in my savings account
I mean, I WAS SAVING MONEY for the kids college, and I got penalized for it. I’m a sick person and bam, my health insurance is gone.
What am i supposed to do go on a shopping spree tomorrow so I can health insurance in this Country?
Rich, healthy people who don’t need health insurance get health insurance, yet I have chronic pain and I need it more. #trigeminalneuralgia
My depleting medical condition just means I have to sell off more of my fucking artwork for peanuts so I can see doctors and not die.
I’m always pulling myself up by my boot straps but Please vote Obama so I can get me some health care exchanges and not be in pain. end rant
With an increasing freelance base and an aging creative population, this is the kind of problem that may not be going away any time soon.
- 53 Shots And Video Of The Walking Dead Zombie March Through Old London Town… - October 24, 2017
- Dr Strange Lush – How Alan Moore Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bath Bomb - October 23, 2017
- Sink #1 From ComixTribe Goes To Second Printing – “Get In The Van!” - October 23, 2017
- Richard Corben Returns To Heavy Metal Magazine - October 23, 2017
- Armando Iannucci Comes To Forbidden Planet In London Tomorrow - October 23, 2017