I was approached by a lawyer friend about a case he was working on with others regarding comic characters. Apparently a relative – the creators brother – is in contact with Marvel over some sort of reimbursement- to receive a lump sum for characters he created. He asked me about a few obscure characters that was created by this guy’s brother, but the one name that jumped out was “Rocket Raccoon”. I was told that the brother was trying to get some money for medical expenses, and was offered a five figure sum so far. I asked if the name was “Mantlo”- but my friend smiled and said he couldn’t say just yet.
Bill Mantlo, creator of Rocket Raccoon, to star in the upcoming Guardians Of The Galaxy movie, was the victim of a hit-and-run incident in 1992 and was brain damaged as a result, needing full time care. His brother and caregiver is Michael Mantlo, and there have been a number of fundraising efforts since to help pay for his care.
With a Guardians Of The Galaxy movie scheduled, hopefully a six figure sum may be more appropriate?
UPDATE: Word from Michael Mantlo is passed to us “sorry to disappoint everyone, but this blog post is totally false, and very misleading. Marvel is violating confidentiality agreements by leaking these rumors of a supposed deal. Like all of you, I would love for the final suggestion in that post to come true, but to date, it doesn’t seem to be a reality.”
- Marvel Panel At Baltimore Comic-Con: “Many People Feel As Though Marvel Just Hadn’t Been Feeling Right” - September 23, 2017
- Dark Ark #1 By Cullen Bunn And Joe Doe Sells Out And Goes To Second Printing - September 23, 2017
- Frank Cho Has A New Fan Of His Wonder Woman Art - September 23, 2017
- Heroes & Villains Fan Fest New York 2017: Cosplay, Gotham, And Barrowman - September 23, 2017
- The AfterShock Table At Baltimore Comic-Con - September 23, 2017