I was approached by a lawyer friend about a case he was working on with others regarding comic characters. Apparently a relative – the creators brother – is in contact with Marvel over some sort of reimbursement- to receive a lump sum for characters he created. He asked me about a few obscure characters that was created by this guy’s brother, but the one name that jumped out was “Rocket Raccoon”. I was told that the brother was trying to get some money for medical expenses, and was offered a five figure sum so far. I asked if the name was “Mantlo”- but my friend smiled and said he couldn’t say just yet.
Bill Mantlo, creator of Rocket Raccoon, to star in the upcoming Guardians Of The Galaxy movie, was the victim of a hit-and-run incident in 1992 and was brain damaged as a result, needing full time care. His brother and caregiver is Michael Mantlo, and there have been a number of fundraising efforts since to help pay for his care.
With a Guardians Of The Galaxy movie scheduled, hopefully a six figure sum may be more appropriate?
UPDATE: Word from Michael Mantlo is passed to us “sorry to disappoint everyone, but this blog post is totally false, and very misleading. Marvel is violating confidentiality agreements by leaking these rumors of a supposed deal. Like all of you, I would love for the final suggestion in that post to come true, but to date, it doesn’t seem to be a reality.”
- DC Comics Confirms Bats Out Of Hell Crossover With November Solicits Sneak-Peek - August 18, 2017
- Exclusive! The Long Beach Comic Con 2017 Panels And Programming Schedule - August 18, 2017
- J Scott Campbell’s Exclusive Retailer Variant For Marvel Legacy #1 – The Pencil Sketch - August 18, 2017
- Stanley “Artgerm” Lau Grabs Them By The Variant Cover? - August 18, 2017
- Sam Humphries Leaves Green Lanterns For Something New As Tim Seeley Takes Over - August 18, 2017