Pete Woods of Legion Of Superheroes had a different take on Rob Liefeld‘s tweets. Posting on Facebook he wrote;
It’s funny. Before DCNu I heard a lot of people complaining that DC continuity was all over the place and no one had a plan. I’ve read some of the reactions to what Mr. Leifeld has said about editorial and most of his complaints involve DC having a plan. Now people complain about DC being too restrictive…
There is a plan. I’ve seen the edges of it. Keep in mind there are 52 books that editorial is trying to make “agree”. Compromises are constantly being made, but this thing does have a shape. Considering what they’re trying to pull off I think editorial needs to be cut some slack.
I was working in the next room at WildStorm when the Image founders had their conference call to remove Rob from Image. I won’t say anything about what transpired other than to say Rob is a passionate individual and his reaction over the past day or so is consistent with the kind of guy he is. At least from my very limited exposure to hm.
Micromanaged is just another way to say that there is a plan. Have I had more editorial involvement in my books? Oh hell yeah. A lot more. I can totally understand how people would call that micromanaging. It’s a change, but a change consistent with what DC is trying to do.
there are 52 books all with writers and artists who feel strongly about what they want to do with characters. What one does affects another’s plan. Each one of these people feel that the work they are doing is very important. Sometimes one vision overrides another and changes need to be made. This happens week to week. Editorial is trying to strike a balance between the big picture and the needs of 52 different books in a cohesive universe. I can’t imagine the kind of stress they’re under.
I find that the lack of professionalism and poor communication is 90% the fault of the creator, not the editor.
we’re a bunch of self important babies.
I hate continuity. Despise it. You want to talk about interfering with a creator’s vision? There’s nothing worse than continuity. I do recognize that a majority of our audience likes continuity. In the end they’re the boss.
- Dark Horse Comics Semi-Liquidates Over 300 Collections And Hardcovers, Including Buffy Omnibuses - March 26, 2017
- Lying In The Gutters – 26th March 2017 – Unworthy, Reborn And Leaked - March 26, 2017
- Women In Comics Con 2017: Because Pop Culture Is A Mirror That Reflects Everyone - March 26, 2017
- Chicago’s FanFest 2017 – “This Is What Happens When Your Country Is Founded By Religious Nuts With Guns” - March 26, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 26th March 2017 – “Iron Fist Is Off To A Good Start But We Didn’t Sell A Single Issue Of Gamora” - March 26, 2017