Sergio Toppi passed away yesterday.
One of the most significant Italian comic book creators, with incredibly stylised and detailsed drawings, he is best known for his work Collezionista as well as the likes of Little Big Horn, which was been incredibly influential on artists from Walter Simonson to Simone Bianchi, but he also had a simpler even more stylised cartoony approach which opened him up to a very diferent audience.
He had fought off a bout of cancer, and he had returned to working full time for his French publisher of twenty years, Mosquito, but the tumour returned earlier this year.
You can see the man and plenty of his work here;
- Extended Preview of Axis & Atlas #1, the New Titan Comic That’s “a Cross Between Asterix and Bone” - December 15, 2017
- Comic Store In Your Future: Getting Rid of the Dead Shoplifters Before the Secret Shopper Arrives - December 15, 2017
- Sir Derek Jacobi to Play the Voice of God in Good Omens TV Series - December 15, 2017
- Marvel Comics Asks Retailers to Hold on to Ed Piskor’s Corner Box - December 15, 2017
- Tales of Tomorrow: Bringing Comics, Cosplay, and Coffee to the Four Corners - December 15, 2017