Sergio Toppi passed away yesterday.
One of the most significant Italian comic book creators, with incredibly stylised and detailsed drawings, he is best known for his work Collezionista as well as the likes of Little Big Horn, which was been incredibly influential on artists from Walter Simonson to Simone Bianchi, but he also had a simpler even more stylised cartoony approach which opened him up to a very diferent audience.
He had fought off a bout of cancer, and he had returned to working full time for his French publisher of twenty years, Mosquito, but the tumour returned earlier this year.
You can see the man and plenty of his work here;
- Warning – Doomsday Clock #1 Press Embargoes Lift In Five Hours - November 19, 2017
- Caster, A New Comic (And More) From Common And Jason Masters - November 19, 2017
- Cartoonist Imprisoned In Equatorial Guinea For Two Months Now - November 19, 2017
- Line Webtoon Launches Cursed, Rob, And Firebrand Season 2 From John Barrowman, Tommy Lee Edwards, Claudia Aguirre, Erika Lewis, And More - November 19, 2017
- London’s Westminster Reference Library To Celebrate The Great And The Gagged - November 19, 2017