This is Dave Gibbons first comment on Before Watchmen since his words quoted in the DC Press Release that, even then, seemed rather awkwardly – or rather precisely – chosen, so as not to give them any real blessing.
Butwhen talking about his new Madefire comic and his new gaming work for GameCity Nights, Dave Gibbons talked about Watchmen at length, and also mentioned the prequels when talking about the Watchmen video game, with a mocking laugh in his voice. He said (about one hour seven minutes in);
“It was a little bit out of my control, but they actually paid me quite a lot of money to be a consultant on it. I looked at two of the cut scenes and drew over a bit of artwork to show how I would draw it. That’s what they paid me… well, I’d be embarrassed to tell you how many thousand dollars for. But I was a distant consultant.
“I didn’t have a lot of input in it. To me anything to do with the movies – as far as I’m concerned, what Alan and I did was the Watchmen graphic novel and a couple of illustrations that came out at the same time. Everything else – the movie, the game, the [laugh] prequels – are really not canon. They’re subsidiary. They’re not really Watchmen. They’re just something different.
“So I was quite happy to say with the video game, yeah, I like that, and I don’t like that, and, that’s okay, because it wasn’t really anything that impinged on what we’d done creatively.”
You can see him talking at length here;
- Watchmen, The Justice Society, Flash And Batman – It’s All Happening! - February 24, 2017
- Aspen Denied Free Comic Book Day 2017 – So They Are Doing It Themselves With Aspen Universe: Decimation #0, Free For May - February 24, 2017
- Saudia Arabia Comic Con Condemned By Religious Leaders – But Not Mads Mikkelsen - February 24, 2017
- Tom King Teases Batman/Rorschach Crossover… - February 24, 2017
- What Would A Comics Retailer Tell Their Younger Self Before Opening Their Store? - February 24, 2017