Pictured: R. J. Ryan (left) with David Marquez (right) in artist’s alley at SDCC 2012. Alistair Philp writes for Bleeding Cool from San Diego Comic Con;
I was lucky enough to meet up with David Marquez and R.J. Ryan today at SDCC where they told me about their upcoming project together, titled The Joyners in 3D, to be published by Archaia. You’ll know David’s art from the current run of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man which has just released its 12th issue and is definitely worth picking up if you haven’t already.
Ryan and Marquez last teamed up in 2010 for the highly successful Syndrome, which Ryan wrote along with Daniel Quantz, and which netted Marquez a Russ Manning Award nomination for Most Promising Newcomer. Fans of Syndrome should be excited for this title, described by Ryan as “the Jetsons meets the Ice Storm.” Like Syndrome, The Joyners in 3D is intended for a more mature audience. The book will follow a family in the future and the problems they face. Though, if their past work is any indication, these two will have no shortage of twists to keep readers on their toes.
Like the title suggests, The Joyners in 3D will be a comic that literally jumps off the page. Marquez spent a lot of time researching methods of making 3D comics in the past, including Joe Kubert’s work that involved using several different layers of glass or cellophane and stacking them on top of each other to give depth. Marquez uses a similar method but reproduces the effect digitally. Using his computer and photoshop, he is able to set up a depth field that puts different images in different layers. I was able to try it out for myself and have to say that the effect is incredible. The depth adds a great feel to the artwork without being too outlandish.
- Watchmen Lenticular Covers For Batman And Flash “The Button” Story Won’t Be In Previews – Retailers Have To Order Now - January 18, 2017
- Justice League/Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #1 Gets A Nice New Cover For Its Second Print… - January 18, 2017
- Looks Like Captain Marvel Was Right About Civil War II – But Has The US President Abandoned Her? - January 18, 2017
- DC Comics’ New Gay Superhero, The Ray – In His Own Words - January 18, 2017
- Valiant Goes To Space – Six Pages From X-O Manowar #1 - January 18, 2017