Pictured: R. J. Ryan (left) with David Marquez (right) in artist’s alley at SDCC 2012. Alistair Philp writes for Bleeding Cool from San Diego Comic Con;
I was lucky enough to meet up with David Marquez and R.J. Ryan today at SDCC where they told me about their upcoming project together, titled The Joyners in 3D, to be published by Archaia. You’ll know David’s art from the current run of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man which has just released its 12th issue and is definitely worth picking up if you haven’t already.
Ryan and Marquez last teamed up in 2010 for the highly successful Syndrome, which Ryan wrote along with Daniel Quantz, and which netted Marquez a Russ Manning Award nomination for Most Promising Newcomer. Fans of Syndrome should be excited for this title, described by Ryan as “the Jetsons meets the Ice Storm.” Like Syndrome, The Joyners in 3D is intended for a more mature audience. The book will follow a family in the future and the problems they face. Though, if their past work is any indication, these two will have no shortage of twists to keep readers on their toes.
Like the title suggests, The Joyners in 3D will be a comic that literally jumps off the page. Marquez spent a lot of time researching methods of making 3D comics in the past, including Joe Kubert’s work that involved using several different layers of glass or cellophane and stacking them on top of each other to give depth. Marquez uses a similar method but reproduces the effect digitally. Using his computer and photoshop, he is able to set up a depth field that puts different images in different layers. I was able to try it out for myself and have to say that the effect is incredible. The depth adds a great feel to the artwork without being too outlandish.
- Bleeding Cool’s First Cosplay Shots From San Diego Comic-Con 2017 - July 20, 2017
- Tom King Teases ‘Dark Matter’ From DC Comics For December 2017 - July 19, 2017
- ‘Astonisher’ Begins And ‘Noble’ Returns From Catalyst Prime In October - July 19, 2017
- The Tick Takeover Experience At San Diego Comic-Con 2017: One Of The Best Off-Site Activities In Years - July 19, 2017
- Doctor Who: Topps Trading Card For The 13th Doctor Available – That Was Fast - July 19, 2017