Today at the 11th Hour Doctor Who convention, Lee announced that he had left the book to work on a special IDW Doctor Who project for next year, which so happens to be the fiftieth anniversary of Doctor Who.
But I understand it’s a little more than that and, basically, relations between the Star Trek writing team, the Tipton brothers and Doctor Who writer Tony Lee had broken down. To the extent that Lee walked off the book. Don’t expect him to be credited at all for the solicited fourth issue when it ships in September.
Lee told me by text “Obviously there are aspects of the second half that I was involved with at the planning stages, but I look forward to reading these issues as a fan”. From what I’ve heard elsewhere however, that is very unlikely. Regarding the rest of this story, Lee pled the Urquhart, saying “I couldn’t possibly comment.”
UPDATE: Tony Lee has now tweeted;
“Where it’s true I have left the book after issue four, it was after discussions with IDW, discussions that also involved my next project and the legwork needed to ensure it could hit the ground running, legwork that would interrupt my duties on this book. I was involved understood why I was moving onto the next project. I couldn’t possibly comment on anything else involving the book because as far the plotting of all eight issues, but as for scripting I will indeed be reading it as a fan with the others when it comes out. As for relations breaking down there is nothing further from the truth, and the last time I spoke to them we had no issues, and as I’m concerned, there’s nothing worth commenting on. The cover does look pretty swish though!”
Which all of course has plenty of wiggle room – “last time I spoke to them” is a classic. Lee walked off the book because of his unhappiness with the Tiptons’ work on the book and their decision not to work with his sizeable suggestions, changes and rewrites.
- Reading Nick Spencer’s Captain America While Reading His Tweets - January 24, 2017
- André Lima Araújo Is Drawing The Wicked + The Divine 455 - January 24, 2017
- Dynamite Launches The Sovereigns #0 With Turok, Magnus, Solar, Doctor Spektor For $1, With Ray Fawkes, Chuck Wendig, Aubrey Sitterson and Johnny Desjardins - January 24, 2017
- Full Marvel Comics Solicitations For April 2017 – Beginnings… And Endings - January 24, 2017
- Phoenix Comicon To Pay All Staff, And Give Free Passes For Those Who Miss Out - January 24, 2017