Next year, Fantagraphics are to publish the Last Laugh by André Franquin in English – the first new attempt in decades, Franquin was a true master in French comics, popular amongst critics and readers, and this is considered his later experimental masterpiece, Idées Noires.
He also created the incredibly popular comic strips Gaston and Marsupilami, while he worked on the Spirou et Fantasio. Here’s the blurb.
André Franquin, the creator of arguably the greatest Franco-Belgian gag strip of all time (Gaston Lagaffe) and the custodian, for close to a quarter century, of the second greatest Franco-Belgian comedy-adventure strip (Spirou, behind the untouchable Tintin), was also a moody guy who suffered from crushing bouts of depression. With his late-career “Idées Noires” series of gags from the late 1970s and early 1980s, created mostly for the independent/underground comics magazine Fluide Glacial, Franquin harnessed his still-virtuoso graphic style to his increasingly morbid worldview, and the result was a series of joyfully morbid “blackout” pages that postulated the world as a bleak, miserable, and hopeless hell — executed in a phenomenally controlled, exquisitely dark black-and-blacker symphony of pen lines. (Franquin had intended to work with stylized silhouettes, but his obsessive doodler’s nature overpowered him and resulted in an utterly unique look that he himself once complained looked like his regular style “covered in soot.”) Franquin may have been hanging on by his fingernails, but his graphic mastery was undimmed, and the bracing despair, hopelessness and misanthropy he laid down onto the paper evidently helped him survive many a bleak day and night. Most of these strips have never been read in English. Fantagraphics is proud to present the complete “Idées Noires” collection (under the title Franquin’s Last Laugh), with a new translation and introduction by editor Kim Thompson. Yes
- Cult Classic: Return to Whisper #1 from Vault Comics Gets a Surprise FOC - January 18, 2018
- Marvel Comics Created Variant of Doctor Strange: Damnation to Be More Bible-Belt-Friendly - January 18, 2018
- BLACK Gets a New Series in April as BLACK [AF] Widows - January 18, 2018
- DC Comics Fixes Justice League International Omnibus Problems (Some Of Them) With Stealth Second Printing - January 18, 2018
- Vaughn Stein Developing Smoketown from Scout Comics as a Movie - January 18, 2018