It’s just the preview issue. Only 40 pages long (up from the solicited 32 pages though). And priced at just $1.49 which must have helped. But that’s not a bad start is it? 26,000 preorders for a new comics magazine without a Todd McFarlane cover? Plus you know Avatar will be selling it long and hard through the convention season, on top of that.
That represents a combined figure of both Diamond Comic Distributor orders and direct-from-publisher orders, I’m told.
There should be copies available to see at the Phoenix Comic Con and we’ll most likely have a batch of Bleeding Cool Magazine #0s for the Bleeding Cool Fan Awards on the Friday night for attendees. The mag should then ship the next week through Diamond.
So I want to say thank you to the stores that have shown confidence in this. Midtown appear to have ordered a metric ton. Those, like A Comic Shop in Florida who are hilariously giving copies away for free to people who preorder Watchmen. Or to Larry’s Comics, a shop which I have been mean to on more than one occasion, but are also giving away copies free to customers, as is Heavy Ink. Thank you one and all.
Those last three shops are both nuts by the way. If your retailer is sane, I hope you’ll support them by buying your copy for $1.49. I bet you’ve got that in change down the back of your settee, easy.
There are some (hello Heidi!) who have been widely questioning if it’s wise to launch a print comics magazine in this climate. I don’t know. We’re going to find out. We’re going to make mistakes. But unless you try, you never know.
Time to find out. This is a good start.
- So Why Were DC Comics April 2017 Solicitations Delayed A Week Anyway? - January 22, 2017
- Warren Ellis, On Whether Nazis Should Be Punched In The Face, Or Not - January 22, 2017
- Lying In The Gutters – 22nd January 2017 – Supergirl Grabs Bleeding Cool By The Traffic - January 22, 2017
- Sean Gordon Murphy’s New Batman Series, Teased… - January 22, 2017
- Reviewing By The Numbers: A Tarnished Tintin For Grown Ups - January 22, 2017