Something has been tickling my head of late, reading the run up to the Court Of Owls. A theory, nothing more, not backed up by any actual evidence, that would be far too messy, that Scott Snyder is going to do something big to the legend of Batman.
We have been introduced to the Court, a set of Illuminati-like figures who run Gotham, and always have done, in the shadows, known by most only as a really creepy nursery rhyme that parents tell their children, and probably goes a long way to turning some of them into supervillains.
They also have a couterie of unstoppable, undead assassins, the Talons.
And Scott Snyder is starting to write them into the history of Gotham and the history of Batman. We know that the Waynes have caused the Owls trouble before. We know that the first Robin was intended to be recruited as a Talon. And the most recent issue of Batman gave us a glimpse into the Alfred Pennyworth legacy and showing us a little of what happened on the night that Thomas and Martha Wayne died.
That felt like the giveaway for me. What was when a tickle becam a full grown itch.
Are Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo about to reveal that Batman’s parents were killed, not by a mugger looking for an easy mark, but by the Court Of Owls and their Talon assassins? And that in so doing, they created their own nemesis by inspiring the existence of The Batman?
Or is this nothing but fancy?
In other Night Of The Owls news, this week’s Batman gives us a handy look at what’s been going on in the other Batman books. Apart from Batwing. What’s with that?
In Batman And Robin, we have young Damian leading a crack troop of soldiers. He’s a natural.
While in Batgirl, she gets to fight a Talonette. Which struck me as the most pandering, silly, pointless thing…
And till I read it, and found a poignant, tender and complex treatise on the concept of “enemy”.
Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics, London.
- The Small Town Barbeque Vampires Of “Redneck” By Donny Cates, Lisandro Estherren And Dee Cunniffe From Image/Skybound In April - January 23, 2017
- Topps To Publish A Trump-Based Garbage Pail Kids Comic – Donald Dump! - January 23, 2017
- What Will Happen To Task Force X After Justice League Vs Suicide Squad? Just Ask Grant Morrison (SPOILERS) - January 23, 2017
- Speculator Corner: Star Wars #49 – The Last Jedi – From Marvel Comics - January 23, 2017
- Scott Lobdell Writes Aspen’s Crossover Series, No World, Debuting In April 2017 - January 23, 2017