I can hear the blood pressure of various comic store owners rising as we speak.
DC Direct, the line of toys and statues manufactured and sold by DC Comics, is being renamed as DC Collectibles will be putting its entire offering online, so that people can purchase directly from them, rather than through a Diamond-supplied comic store.
The press release says;
“‘ taken the past year or so to become laser focused on what makes the products in this line special, and what has emerged from that process is DC Collectibles,” stated Geoff Johns, chief creative officer for DC Entertainment. “We’re extremely proud of our line of unique, high-end collectibles, and feel that it caters to fans looking for limited edition, authentic products based on our characters and stories, created by the same artists who work directly on those characters and stories.”
As a sop, the site will have a comic store locator device in case people want to buy the item in person. But two exclusive items will be made available through the site, “a Flashpoint Action Figure Box Set including: Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and a previously unreleased Emperor Aquaman” as well as “a $500 Wayne Casino Poker Chip” which they weren’t even giving out in San Diego. Next up is a Blackest Night Green Lantern And Sinestro bust.
There will be a hastily-renamed DC Collectibles panel on Friday at C2E2. Expect a number of retailers to turn up with torches and limited edition mint-in-box pitchforks.
In other news, here’s a Spider-Man/Ultra-Man statue that may be about to become a meme in its own right.
- The Small Town Barbeque Vampires Of “Redneck” By Donny Cates, Lisandro Estherren And Dee Cunniffe From Image/Skybound In April - January 23, 2017
- Topps To Publish A Trump-Based Garbage Pail Kids Comic – Donald Dump! - January 23, 2017
- What Will Happen To Task Force X After Justice League Vs Suicide Squad? Just Ask Grant Morrison (SPOILERS) - January 23, 2017
- Speculator Corner: Star Wars #49 – The Last Jedi – From Marvel Comics - January 23, 2017
- Scott Lobdell Writes Aspen’s Crossover Series, No World, Debuting In April 2017 - January 23, 2017