I can hear the blood pressure of various comic store owners rising as we speak.
DC Direct, the line of toys and statues manufactured and sold by DC Comics, is being renamed as DC Collectibles will be putting its entire offering online, so that people can purchase directly from them, rather than through a Diamond-supplied comic store.
The press release says;
“‘ taken the past year or so to become laser focused on what makes the products in this line special, and what has emerged from that process is DC Collectibles,” stated Geoff Johns, chief creative officer for DC Entertainment. “We’re extremely proud of our line of unique, high-end collectibles, and feel that it caters to fans looking for limited edition, authentic products based on our characters and stories, created by the same artists who work directly on those characters and stories.”
As a sop, the site will have a comic store locator device in case people want to buy the item in person. But two exclusive items will be made available through the site, “a Flashpoint Action Figure Box Set including: Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and a previously unreleased Emperor Aquaman” as well as “a $500 Wayne Casino Poker Chip” which they weren’t even giving out in San Diego. Next up is a Blackest Night Green Lantern And Sinestro bust.
There will be a hastily-renamed DC Collectibles panel on Friday at C2E2. Expect a number of retailers to turn up with torches and limited edition mint-in-box pitchforks.
In other news, here’s a Spider-Man/Ultra-Man statue that may be about to become a meme in its own right.
- Can Stargate Really Work As A New Show Set In 1928? - July 22, 2017
- Indie Novelist Matt Wolf On His Epic Fantasy Series, The Ronin Saga, And SDCC - July 22, 2017
- How To Gatecrash VIP Parties At San Diego Comic-Con (With Apologies To Robert Kirkman) - July 22, 2017
- Oh The Celebrities You’ll Meet At San Diego Comic-Con - July 22, 2017
- The Winners Of The Eisner Awards 2017 In Full – And Their Reactions! - July 22, 2017