Earth World Comics in Albany, New York is participating in Free Comic Book Day this year. Nothing unusual in that, but it seems its not just the customers who will be getting free comics.
Because this year Earthworld Comics will be collecting and accepting donations of comics from fans for the BOOKS FOR TROOPS , an organization founded to send “care packages for the mind” for the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. It was also founded to raise awareness of the sacrifices, both big and small, that troops are making to protect Americans and to remind them that they are not forgotten.
Earthworld has worked with TROOPS founder, Ellen Keegan for the last year donating some overstock comics we had and have received the letters of appreciation. One soldier said that the comics sent were “the biggest home run in relation to care packages”. Another, that his son is a big comic fan and he feels “connected to him whenever I read a comic book”. Many of the letters say that the books make a huge difference in their lives, and all of them end with ‘it is my honor and privilege to serve the people of the United States”.
After sending the letters to Diamond Comic Distributors, they were forwarded to the various publishers. And DC Comics stepped up, sending Books for Troops over 800 comics for Afghanistan soldiers (pictred above and below)
UPDATE: Dynamite Entertainment got in touch to let us know they have donated 20,000 comics.
From April 1st to May 5th, New York comic readers can drop unwanted comics at Earthworld and, in return, will get a ticket entitling them to additional Free Comic Book Day titles than they would normally receive. At the end of Free Comic Book Day, all donated books will be collected by Ms. Keegan and sent to Afghanistan for distribution to all soldiers. There will be photos…
- J Michael Straczynski On The Importance – Or Not – Of Superman’s Red Shorts - January 16, 2017
- Clone Conspiracy #4 Goes Back To Amazing Fantasy #15 – But Not Quite In The Way You MightThink - January 16, 2017
- How Jason Fabok’s Watchmen Covers For Batman And Flash In April Came About… - January 16, 2017
- Unfollow And Clean Room: Season One End With #18 – More Frankensteining DC Solicits For April 2016 As $3.99 Is The New $2.99 - January 16, 2017
- Jessica Jones Meets Roger Rabbit – Black Cloud #1, Out This April, From Jason Latour, Ivan Brandon, Greg Finkle, Matt Wilson And Image Comics - January 16, 2017