This is the first of a series of Doonesbury cartoons running this week in… slightly less newspapers than usual. Targeting legislation in a number of states that those seeking an abortion must have a transvaginal scan, something that has been mocked as much as it has been criticised of late, Gary Trudeau’s Doonesbury seems unlikely to pull any punches. Especially considering the Republican Presidential candidate debates of late, and the role of Texan governor Rick Perry.
The first cartoon above, is relatively tame. One line from an upcoming cartoon “By the authority invested in me by the GOP base, I thee rape” is likely to cause considerably more fuss, as will the questionnaire line “How long have you been a slut?”
But with other satirical sources such as The Colbert Report and Saturday Night Live, able to topically turn on a sixpence, this legislation appears to already have been amended, under ridicule, in Virginia. The comic strip, as traditionally syndicated, just can’t react quickly enough…
- Justice League Of America Tops Advance Reorders, Followed By Image’s 25th Birthday - January 19, 2017
- Second Prints For Unstoppable Wasp, IVX And The Few - January 19, 2017
- Dan Panosian Talks To Bleeding Cool About Working With Joe Quesada On The X-Men Comic That Appears In The Logan Movie - January 19, 2017
- There’s A DC Comic In The January Loot Crate…. - January 19, 2017
- How The Green Lanterns Comic Tackles Anxiety In A Remarkably Superheroic Fashion - January 19, 2017