This is the first of a series of Doonesbury cartoons running this week in… slightly less newspapers than usual. Targeting legislation in a number of states that those seeking an abortion must have a transvaginal scan, something that has been mocked as much as it has been criticised of late, Gary Trudeau’s Doonesbury seems unlikely to pull any punches. Especially considering the Republican Presidential candidate debates of late, and the role of Texan governor Rick Perry.
The first cartoon above, is relatively tame. One line from an upcoming cartoon “By the authority invested in me by the GOP base, I thee rape” is likely to cause considerably more fuss, as will the questionnaire line “How long have you been a slut?”
But with other satirical sources such as The Colbert Report and Saturday Night Live, able to topically turn on a sixpence, this legislation appears to already have been amended, under ridicule, in Virginia. The comic strip, as traditionally syndicated, just can’t react quickly enough…
- Rewriting Superman From Scratch In Action Comics #978 – With A Little Help From Secret Origin - April 24, 2017
- The Fake Jack Kirby Art That Sold For Over $2500 On eBay? - April 24, 2017
- Let’s All Watch A Video About How Diamond Have Changed Their Olive Branch Distribution Centre - April 24, 2017
- Does Your Copy Of Secret Empire #0 Have A Misprint On Page 2? - April 24, 2017
- Process Is The Topic of the Day At C2E2’s Writing For Comics Panel - April 24, 2017