This is the first of a series of Doonesbury cartoons running this week in… slightly less newspapers than usual. Targeting legislation in a number of states that those seeking an abortion must have a transvaginal scan, something that has been mocked as much as it has been criticised of late, Gary Trudeau’s Doonesbury seems unlikely to pull any punches. Especially considering the Republican Presidential candidate debates of late, and the role of Texan governor Rick Perry.
The first cartoon above, is relatively tame. One line from an upcoming cartoon “By the authority invested in me by the GOP base, I thee rape” is likely to cause considerably more fuss, as will the questionnaire line “How long have you been a slut?”
But with other satirical sources such as The Colbert Report and Saturday Night Live, able to topically turn on a sixpence, this legislation appears to already have been amended, under ridicule, in Virginia. The comic strip, as traditionally syndicated, just can’t react quickly enough…
- Two TV Commercials From DC Comics For the New Age of Heroes Line - January 17, 2018
- For Those of You Still Reading Generation X… Something Special For Jubilee (#86 Spoilers) - January 17, 2018
- Brian Wood and Jorge Coelho’s Robocop: Citizens Arrest Looks to Explore Social Justice - January 17, 2018
- Ludocrats from Kieron Gillen, David Lafuente, and Jim Rossignol is Coming Soon, Honest - January 17, 2018
- Now Glénat to Publish Conan Comics, as It’s All Public Domain in Europe - January 17, 2018