This is the first of a series of Doonesbury cartoons running this week in… slightly less newspapers than usual. Targeting legislation in a number of states that those seeking an abortion must have a transvaginal scan, something that has been mocked as much as it has been criticised of late, Gary Trudeau’s Doonesbury seems unlikely to pull any punches. Especially considering the Republican Presidential candidate debates of late, and the role of Texan governor Rick Perry.
The first cartoon above, is relatively tame. One line from an upcoming cartoon “By the authority invested in me by the GOP base, I thee rape” is likely to cause considerably more fuss, as will the questionnaire line “How long have you been a slut?”
But with other satirical sources such as The Colbert Report and Saturday Night Live, able to topically turn on a sixpence, this legislation appears to already have been amended, under ridicule, in Virginia. The comic strip, as traditionally syndicated, just can’t react quickly enough…
- Thought Bubble Anthology 2017 Features Jason Aaron, Jen Bartel, Cecil Castellucci, Brandon Graham, Jody Houser, Jason Latour, Emi Lenox, Simon Roy, Marley Zarcone - July 20, 2017
- Have DC Masterclass Artists For Dark Matter Only Signed Up For 3 Issues Each? - July 20, 2017
- Will Titans And Teen Titans Merge In 2018? - July 20, 2017
- Is This The True Identity Of Mr. Oz In Superman? (Possible Spoilers) - July 20, 2017
- Bleeding Cool’s First Cosplay Shots From San Diego Comic-Con 2017 - July 20, 2017