For many Americans and Brits, Jean Giraud was the European comics creator whose work we knew. Translated and republished in English, his science fiction work under the name of Moebius especially influenced the entire industry.
And then he went and did the same thing to Japan as well. To influence three separate comics industries so heavily, and still working into his seventies, this is a dark day but also an opportunity to remember the Moebius we loved, who died earlier today, aged 73, from a long illness.
Brendon talked about his film work here, but it always be his comics for me, The Airtight Garage, Arzach, L’Incal, Fort Navajo and its spinoff Blueberry, the metatextual Inside Moebius and so much more. And a central influence on everyone from Simon Roy to Frank Quitely, Geoff Darrow to Hayao Miyazaki, Dave Gibbons to Jim Lee to Taiyo Matsumoto.
Please feel free to post your own favourite Moebius images in the comments below.
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 26th March 2017 – “Iron Fist Is Off To A Good Start But We Didn’t Sell A Single Issue Of Gamora” - March 26, 2017
- Gamma Trade Show- Pokemon Pre-Releases, TCGPlayer And The Popularity Of Star Wars Destiny - March 26, 2017
- Unboxing The Second Stan Lee Box For March 2017 - March 26, 2017
- Comic Book Artist Oliver Nome Has Passed Away - March 25, 2017
- Frank Cho’s Movie Poster For Scott Sava’s Animal Crackers Is A Comic Strip - March 25, 2017