For many Americans and Brits, Jean Giraud was the European comics creator whose work we knew. Translated and republished in English, his science fiction work under the name of Moebius especially influenced the entire industry.
And then he went and did the same thing to Japan as well. To influence three separate comics industries so heavily, and still working into his seventies, this is a dark day but also an opportunity to remember the Moebius we loved, who died earlier today, aged 73, from a long illness.
Brendon talked about his film work here, but it always be his comics for me, The Airtight Garage, Arzach, L’Incal, Fort Navajo and its spinoff Blueberry, the metatextual Inside Moebius and so much more. And a central influence on everyone from Simon Roy to Frank Quitely, Geoff Darrow to Hayao Miyazaki, Dave Gibbons to Jim Lee to Taiyo Matsumoto.
Please feel free to post your own favourite Moebius images in the comments below.
- New Darkness, Cyber Force, Aphrodite V To Join New Witchblade In 2018 - November 22, 2017
- Black Friday Comic Store Deals For 2017: Part One - November 22, 2017
- Titan Comics Launches Bloodborne And Alisik Fall In February 2018 Solicits - November 22, 2017
- Black Mask Comics Launches ‘The Wilds’ And ‘Come Into Me’ In February 2018 Solicits - November 22, 2017
- Ta-Nehisi Coates Reveals A Wakanda Built On Lies In Black Panther #167 - November 22, 2017