You have to love the Daily Mail don’t you? The closest thing Britain has to the Tea Party, in newspaper form it does a good trade in being shocked by… well anything. The country’s going to hell in a handcart, that sort of thing.
Here’s the quote from artist Sara Pichelli from Monday night’s USA Today announcement that the new Ultimate Spider-Man lead would be Miles Morales, a young black/latino man.
“Maybe sooner or later a black or gay – or both – hero will be considered something absolutely normal”, a statement that posited that in an ideal environment, this story wouldn’t even be news.
On the USA Today boards, some black anti-gay posters criticised how Sara equated the two experiences.
But the Daily Mail had a different take, with the headline “Marvel Comics reveals the new Spider Man is black – and he could be gay in the future”
No they didn’t. Sara was talking about the ethnicity or sexuality of any hero not being something to get so heated about. She wasn’t even talking about Spider-Man.
Oh bloody hell Daily Mail. Can’t you even read what you are reporting?
Just got angry letter from a guy mad about our new, “gay” Spider-man. I love this week.
This right here? This is why I don’t like being called a journalist.
For real, actual, superhero gay news, keep reading Bleeding Cool. I’m working on something…
- Ten Thoughts About Doctor Who – Rosa - October 21, 2018
- Rosa – The First Doctor Who to Make Me Cry Since Father’s Day - October 21, 2018
- Trailer for Next Week’s Doctor Who: Arachnids In The UK - October 21, 2018
- Rick & Morty Exclusives From MCM London Comic Con - October 21, 2018
- Donny Cates Delighted by Funko Exclusives at MCM London Comic Con Next Weekend - October 21, 2018