Kevin Keller, Riverdale’s first openly gay character, appeared in Veronica last year, created by Archie cartoonist Dan Parent, which also caused the comic in question to receive the first second print in the company’s history.
Well, sales, talk, and now the character is getting his own Archie title, joining Betty, Veronica, Jughead and Archie himself of course. Quite the promotion. Admittedly it’s just a four issue mini-series, but still. For a company that didn’t seem to recognise that homosexuality existed, it’s quite a jump. Currently neither Marvel or DC have books with a gay male lead, for example. And if sales are strong, expect this to be an ongoing comic pretty shortly.
The series will be set before Kevin came to Riverdale, about his school life and decision to come out.
As I said in my opening address at the Bleeding Cool awards, last year was the year Archie Comics realised that gay people exist – and make up a big chunk of the adults still reading Archie Comics.
Now they’re making even more money out of it.
The question is, will we get any other gay characters in Riverdale? After all, what use is a telephone if there’s only one?
- Leaked Minor Details From Doomsday Clock #1 (SPOILERS) - November 18, 2017
- Warner Bros CEO Kevin Tsujihara Under Spotlight Over Justice League Reception - November 18, 2017
- Gamifying Comics: The Making Of Cartooner - November 18, 2017
- Does This List Set Out Which Justice League Scenes Were Whedon And Which Were Snyder? [SPOILERS] - November 18, 2017
- 25 Years Ago Today, Superman Died At The Hands Of Doomsday – Three Days Later Will He Rise Again In Doomsday Clock? - November 18, 2017