Kevin Keller, Riverdale’s first openly gay character, appeared in Veronica last year, created by Archie cartoonist Dan Parent, which also caused the comic in question to receive the first second print in the company’s history.
Well, sales, talk, and now the character is getting his own Archie title, joining Betty, Veronica, Jughead and Archie himself of course. Quite the promotion. Admittedly it’s just a four issue mini-series, but still. For a company that didn’t seem to recognise that homosexuality existed, it’s quite a jump. Currently neither Marvel or DC have books with a gay male lead, for example. And if sales are strong, expect this to be an ongoing comic pretty shortly.
The series will be set before Kevin came to Riverdale, about his school life and decision to come out.
As I said in my opening address at the Bleeding Cool awards, last year was the year Archie Comics realised that gay people exist – and make up a big chunk of the adults still reading Archie Comics.
Now they’re making even more money out of it.
The question is, will we get any other gay characters in Riverdale? After all, what use is a telephone if there’s only one?
- DC Comics To Publish Batman Lost And Hawkman Found One-Shots For Dark Nights: Metal - June 23, 2017
- Greg Pak Is Joined By Hit Artists TBD And TBD For Weapon X Not-A-Relaunch For Marvel Legacy - June 23, 2017
- Antarctic Press Publishes ‘President Pence’, And Other Solicits For September 2017 - June 23, 2017
- Feel The Force of A New Jedi’s Effect On Advance Reorders - June 23, 2017
- Donny Cates’ Next Debut Comic To Follow God Country, Redneck And Babyteeth, Reactor And Other September 2017 Solicits From Vault - June 23, 2017