Kevin Keller, Riverdale’s first openly gay character, appeared in Veronica last year, created by Archie cartoonist Dan Parent, which also caused the comic in question to receive the first second print in the company’s history.
Well, sales, talk, and now the character is getting his own Archie title, joining Betty, Veronica, Jughead and Archie himself of course. Quite the promotion. Admittedly it’s just a four issue mini-series, but still. For a company that didn’t seem to recognise that homosexuality existed, it’s quite a jump. Currently neither Marvel or DC have books with a gay male lead, for example. And if sales are strong, expect this to be an ongoing comic pretty shortly.
The series will be set before Kevin came to Riverdale, about his school life and decision to come out.
As I said in my opening address at the Bleeding Cool awards, last year was the year Archie Comics realised that gay people exist – and make up a big chunk of the adults still reading Archie Comics.
Now they’re making even more money out of it.
The question is, will we get any other gay characters in Riverdale? After all, what use is a telephone if there’s only one?
- A Lifedeath Less Ordinary With John Stanisci - October 21, 2017
- An Unnerving Feeling Of Modern Dread… - October 21, 2017
- Cartoonist Conscript To The Bodega Boys - October 21, 2017
- Ch-Ch-Changes For Marvel Comics’ Scarlet Spider, Royals And America - October 20, 2017
- Hot Rumour: ReedPOP Gets Into Bed With MCM Comic Con - October 20, 2017