We talked about this in Dececember. But now we have piccy pics. This is an early sketch of Thomas Woodwind, created by Warren Ellis and Matt (D’Israeli) Brooker, star of SVK, a new comic published in April, with design agency Berg.
Woodwind is the protagonist in SVK, the comic we’re publishing by Warren Ellis and Matt “D’Israeli” Brooker in April 2011.
At the time, we said;
Ellis has described the new project as “Franz Kafka’s Bourne Identity”. The sgency describe it as “a story about looking, and it’s an investigation into perception, storytelling and optical experimentation that inherits some of the curiosities behind previous work of the studio such as our Here & There maps of Manhattan.”
And here is an early character treatment from Warren;
THOMAS WOODWIND: I’m seeing a man of six feet or so, quite lean, with a good Patrick Stewart-ish skull fuzzed with very short pale hair. Paranoid eyes. Tending to very long black coats, probably with poacher’s pockets sewn on the inside. A bluetooth earpiece cupping each ear, with front facing limbs (where the IR LEDS are). Also wears black gloves, I think – no fingerprints, reduction of epithelials.
Sign up for news on SVK here.
UPDATE: The new Wired magazine tells us more. “Shine the special torch (bundled with the book) and you reveal the characters’ thoughts, printed in UV ink.
SVK stands for Special Viewing Kit and the plot sees Woodwind trying to recover it, with all its telepathic functions. This reading device will enable you to experience the story without knowing what people are thinking, and then revisit it with full knowledge.
Thought bubbles have been removed of late from comics, as film-styled storytelling as replaced it, with the narrative caption far more favoured. This looks a way to bring it back in a very interesting way.
The comic and torch will cost £10 and the agency intends to sell 3,000 of them.
Here’s a look at the tech;
- Faeries Will Flood From The Faultlines From Midsummer’s Night - June 25, 2017
- Dan Schaffer And David Miller Bring Malefic To Devil’s Due For September 2017 Solicits - June 25, 2017
- Will We Discover The New Doctor Who Next Week? - June 25, 2017
- Adrian Ramos Launches No Room For Magic #1 In Keenspot’s September 2017 Solicits - June 25, 2017
- It’s Not San Andreas’ Fault, It’s The Monsters! Massimo Rosi And Gabriel Ibarra Nunez Launch Graveland #1 From Scout Comics In September 2017 Solicitations - June 25, 2017