The Spirit. Doc Savage. First Wave. A series of books that combine Golden Age characters with Will Eisner’s The Spirit world throwing in a 1940s styles Batman and the like as well. It’s rather gorgeous, with some of the best comics talent, Phil Winslade, Brian Azzarello, David Hine, JG Jones, Rags Morales, Moritat, Ladronn, and more. You’d be a fool to turn it down.
Well, it seems that’s exactly what you have been doing, and I’m told that DC is now cancelling the line. Including work already produced that will now no longer see the light of day.
It was stressed to me last year by a senior DC executive that the company is having to take more of a book-by-book approach to justify the publishing of work, no longer relying on better selling books to prop up worthwhile but lower selling titles, in the hope that the audience will catch up. And those character licences do cost money…
Artistically, First Wave is leagues ahead of the DCU books. But it seems that not enough people have noticed.
- Grief For A Dollar - April 30, 2017
- George Pérez “Doing Great, Feeling Much Better” - April 30, 2017
- Entering The Spill Zone With Scott Westerfeld Ahead Of Free Comic Book Day - April 29, 2017
- Ten Thoughts About Doctor Who: On Thin Ice – From Black Jesus To Punching Nazis - April 29, 2017
- Comic Creators At Ru Paul’s Drag Con, In Los Angeles This Weekend - April 29, 2017