The Spirit. Doc Savage. First Wave. A series of books that combine Golden Age characters with Will Eisner’s The Spirit world throwing in a 1940s styles Batman and the like as well. It’s rather gorgeous, with some of the best comics talent, Phil Winslade, Brian Azzarello, David Hine, JG Jones, Rags Morales, Moritat, Ladronn, and more. You’d be a fool to turn it down.
Well, it seems that’s exactly what you have been doing, and I’m told that DC is now cancelling the line. Including work already produced that will now no longer see the light of day.
It was stressed to me last year by a senior DC executive that the company is having to take more of a book-by-book approach to justify the publishing of work, no longer relying on better selling books to prop up worthwhile but lower selling titles, in the hope that the audience will catch up. And those character licences do cost money…
Artistically, First Wave is leagues ahead of the DCU books. But it seems that not enough people have noticed.
- Geek Food: The Lich King Ice Cream At San Diego Comic-Con - July 23, 2017
- Dan DiDio Reveals The Secret Origins Of The Comic Creators – And The Fans – At San Diego Comic-Con - July 23, 2017
- The First Thirteenth Doctor Cosplay At San Diego Comic-Con…Is By A Man - July 23, 2017
- David Duchovny Says He Had Difficulty Voice Acting For X-Files Audible Series - July 23, 2017
- First Look At The Doctor Who Christmas Special – And A Look Back At Peter Capaldi’s Time As The doctor - July 23, 2017