The Spirit. Doc Savage. First Wave. A series of books that combine Golden Age characters with Will Eisner’s The Spirit world throwing in a 1940s styles Batman and the like as well. It’s rather gorgeous, with some of the best comics talent, Phil Winslade, Brian Azzarello, David Hine, JG Jones, Rags Morales, Moritat, Ladronn, and more. You’d be a fool to turn it down.
Well, it seems that’s exactly what you have been doing, and I’m told that DC is now cancelling the line. Including work already produced that will now no longer see the light of day.
It was stressed to me last year by a senior DC executive that the company is having to take more of a book-by-book approach to justify the publishing of work, no longer relying on better selling books to prop up worthwhile but lower selling titles, in the hope that the audience will catch up. And those character licences do cost money…
Artistically, First Wave is leagues ahead of the DCU books. But it seems that not enough people have noticed.
- James Hudnall Pleads For His Friends To Give Trump A Chance - January 21, 2017
- Comics Folk React To (Or Are Part Of) The Women’s Marches Against Donald Trump - January 21, 2017
- Peter Capaldi Joins The Anti-Trump Women’s March In London – Potential Spoiler For The 13th Doctor? - January 21, 2017
- Firefly Fans Represent In Anti-Trump Women’s March In Chicago… - January 21, 2017
- Is Nick Spencer Suited To Write Captain America If He Opposes Punching Nazis? We Asked Captain America In 1982 - January 21, 2017