Bleeding Cool broke the news that Wizard was cancelled last month, and the final issue shipped the other week. It came as a suprise to staff members and readers alike.
It came as an even bigger surprise to those who had just subscribed to the magazines. And wondered where their subscription dollars would go. I was told last week that subscribers are being called up to ask if they want to resubscribe when their subscription runs out, even though the magazine isn’t actually in existence any more.
So will existing subscribers to Wizard or Toyfare get a refund? Put simply, no.
Wizard’s official line is this;
As our last issue shipped two weeks ago, all subscriptions are currently up to date. As is customary in the industry, we are working with other publishers on a suitable replacement for our subscribers’ remaining issues.
Also, we cannot control third parties from selling subscriptions, but no new subscriptions have been processed by us for awhile.
So basically, another publisher will buy out the subscription agreements and send you their magazines instead.
For all criticism aimed at the magazine, it has a strong subscriber base, and there really isn’t any magazine available that would step into Wizard’s shoes in this fashion. I can’t see anyone being happy with this arrangement, especially those who have only just subscribed.
Though I do wish, if only for amusement’s sake that Wizard do a deal with the Comics Journal.
Here are the Wizards that you will never see…
- The Small Town Barbeque Vampires Of “Redneck” By Donny Cates, Lisandro Estherren And Dee Cunniffe From Image/Skybound In April - January 23, 2017
- Topps To Publish A Trump-Based Garbage Pail Kids Comic – Donald Dump! - January 23, 2017
- What Will Happen To Task Force X After Justice League Vs Suicide Squad? Just Ask Grant Morrison (SPOILERS) - January 23, 2017
- Speculator Corner: Star Wars #49 – The Last Jedi – From Marvel Comics - January 23, 2017
- Scott Lobdell Writes Aspen’s Crossover Series, No World, Debuting In April 2017 - January 23, 2017