Thor has been one of Marvel’s surprise performing titles over the last couple of years, ascribed principally to the writing of Babylon 5, Changeling and Amazing Spider-Man‘s Joe Michael Straczynski on the title.
This was a real turn around for the book, a title that had languished and been cancelled, put on hold for a significant period of time, before returning and outperforming many of Marvel’s successful books.
The book relocated the character (and Asgard) to small town America before establishing Thor’s purpose and relevance in the Marvel Universe, as well as that of his supporting cast, finding a new way, a new path, a new purpose.
As of September, JMS will bring this already-a-classic run on the title to an end.
In the Diamond Previews catalogue for that month, Marvel Comics lists two Thor titles. Firstly the Thor Annual by Peter Milligan, Mico Suayan and Clay Mann.
And secondly Thor: Defining Moments Giant Size #1 by J. Michael Straczynski and Marko Djurdjevic, a 64 page $4.99 extra-sized special to conclude JMS’ run on the book.
The catalogue solicitation describes the appearance of a new long-lost ally, Loki and Doom’s machinations seeing fruit, the teaming of Bill and Balder, and the cost and consequences of it all.
Straczynski does good endings. This should be a beaut.
- Filip Sablik and Ross Richie Address ComicsPRO on BOOM! Studios as a Premier Publisher at Diamond - February 23, 2018
- Publishing Dates for DC Zoom and DC Ink Titles Locked Down - February 23, 2018
- Dynamite Entertainment to Become a Premier Publisher at Diamond Comics (CONFIRMED) - February 23, 2018
- Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat to Adapt Own Doctor Who Episodes as Target Novelisations - February 23, 2018
- Return of Bruce Banner Hulk in Avengers #684 Tops Advance Reorders - February 23, 2018