The next season of content for ArenaNet's Guild Wars 2 will take players to the Far Shiverpeaks to combat a new, icy threat. The Icebrood Saga is GW2's newest collection of episodic content.
Players can get an early taste of the new locations, conflicts, and thrilling story coming to the MMO on September 17 with the release of the prologue episode, Bound by Blood. The entire Icebrood Saga, including Bound by Blood, will be free for players who own Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, with the first episode launching this fall.
Alongside the new Living World chapter, the first Guild Wars 2 expansion Heart of Thorns will be free for all players who own or purchase Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, beginning today. Any player who previously purchased Heart of Thorns will receive an exclusive Heart of Thorns Veteran's Pack of in-game items containing a unique Mordrem glider, "Vanguard" title, and voucher for one of a possible sixteen different gem store armor skins.
The Icebrood Saga marks the beginning of a new adventure in Guild Wars 2's storyline.
The official description reads:
It is a time of tentative celebration for all the races of Tyria in the wake of the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik's heroic defeat by the members of Dragon's Watch. But whispers from the Northern Shiverpeaks tell tales of ancient forces stirring from their slumber. While the Sons of Svanir—a renegade cult of norn who have turned away from worshipping the Spirits of the Wild—devote themselves to the elder ice dragon Jormag, stories of the dragon's strength and virtues begin to spread alongside its corrupting influence.
The Icebrood Saga will introduce a wealth of new features, including Strike Missions, which are epic 10-man boss encounters that combine the group coordination skills of raids with the large-scale conflict of a Guild Wars 2 meta event. New boss creatures will also populate the environments of Grothmar Valley and the Northern Shiverpeaks, including the ominous, newly-awakened Drakkar first seen in the original Guild Wars, while new Masteries will be available in Episode One and Episode Two that will explore the history and influence of the Spirits of the Wild, the mystic animal deities of the norn.
Lastly, NCSOFT and ArenaNet are also debuting a variety of Guild Wars 2 product partnerships, including:
- A 20th anniversary art book in collaboration with Dark Horse Comics. Launching in the spring of 2020, the art book will feature an expansive collection of never-before-seen concept art, production material, and creator commentary from the Guild Warsfranchise
- Guild Wars 2 Funko Pop! figures featuring fan-favorite characters. Aurene, Palawa Joko, and Rytlock Brimstone will be available beginning January 2020
- New Guild Wars 2-inspired apparel from Hot Topic and Insert Coin. The clothing range features new t-shirt and hoodie designs
- New Guild Wars 2 mouse pads and phone cases from Razer
- A music streaming partnership with global entertainment and streaming service TIDAL that makes the original musical scores of Path of Fire, Heart of Thorns, and Living World seasons two, three, and four available for listening across the TIDAL platform.
You can check out the Icebrood Saga trailer below.