Paradox Interactive and developer Harebraine Schemes have unveiled the details of Battletech‘s next big expansion, which will take the tactical mech combat game to the big city.
The vast cityscapes of year 3025 will provide a scenic backdrop as players organize mechanized destruction. The new expansion features electronic warfare, large-scale building destruction, environmental mechanics, new mechs, new vehicles, new enemy units, and some new encounters and flashpoints. Environmental mechanics will include new street features like blocked line of sight, collateral damage rules, explosions, floods, and the possibility of having a skyscraper dropped on your head.
Battletech: Urban Warfare will release on June 4th, 2019 and is available for pre-order now.
“Urban Warfare delivers one of the biggest ‘Mech combat player fantasies there is: Fighting it out on the streets and rooftops of epic sci-fi cityscapes,” said Mitch Gitelman, Co-founder of Harebrained Schemes and Game Director of Battletech. “The truth is, we’ve wanted to build city combat environments and gameplay for years, so we’re thrilled to be finally bringing this experience to Battletech.”
Key features of the expansion include:
- Urban Warfare – Street brawls introduce new tactical gameplay challenges as ‘Mech combat moves from wide-open natural landscapes to vast urban sprawls. Every building in the new urban biome is fully destructible, so you’re never more than a few salvos away from a new line of sight, or the defensive cover of high-rise rubble. Abandoned explosive fuel trucks, destroyed coolant exchanger buildings, and broken electrical transformers that disrupt targeting will drastically change the battle as you go.
- Electronic Warfare – The return of these lost technologies will forever change the 31st century battlefield. ‘Mechs equipped with Electronic Countermeasures (ECM) and nearby friendly units are obscured from enemy targeting systems, and immune to indirect fire. Meanwhile, ‘Mechs equipped with Active Probe can reveal, locate, and target enemy units that would otherwise be hidden.
- Two New BattleMechs – The experimental Raven 1X sports an advanced electronic warfare package combining ECM and Active Probe systems into a lightweight component. The Javelin is a compromise between speed and firepower, with close-range knockout power.
- New Flashpoints – A wide variety of new branching short stories that link together mercenary missions, crew conversations, special events, critical choices, and rare bonus rewards.
- Three New Enemy Vehicles – The Tank sports a variety of weapons to fight at all ranges with speed and agility, the Packrat is a battlefield support vehicle equipped with a prototype version of ECM, and the Rotunda is a reconnaissance vehicle equipped with a prototype version of Active Probe.
- New Encounter – Attack and Defend is a challenging new mission type where your mercenaries must destroy an enemy’s base to stop a steady stream of attackers before they can overcome your forces and knock out your employer’s base.
You can check out the Urban Warfare announcement trailer below.