Bleeding Cool is published by Avatar Press, the comic book publisher in Illinois, which recently sold the TV rights to the Warrior Nun comic book to Netflix.
It has been noted a few times that Avatar Press, which began publishing in 1996 shares a name with both the James Cameron movie Avatar of 2010 and the Nickelodeonanimated series Avatar: The Last Airbender from 2005. Well, Avatar movie producers Twentieth Century Fox are wanting to shore up the Avatar name against the release of Avatar 2, planned for December 2020. And are trying to register the word Avatar and a new logo for all manner of products.
Including comic books.
Might m’learned colleagues have something to say about that, do you think?
Here’s a list of the markets that Twentieth Century Fox is trying to lock down for Avatar…
- Non-medicated cosmetics and toiletry preparations; non-medicated dentifrices; perfumery, essential oils; bleaching preparations and other substances for laundry use; cleaning, polishing, scouring and abrasive preparations; antiperspirants; baby wipes; bath oil and bath salts; beauty masks; body sprays; bubble bath; coloring preparations for cosmetic purposes; cosmetics; cosmetic preparations; decorative transfers and skin jewels for cosmetic purposes; deodorants; detergents for household use; eau de toilette; false eyelashes; flavorings in form of cords, ropes or wicks not waxed that emit fragrance; fragrances; hair care preparations; hair coloring preparations; hair shampoos; hair conditioners; hair spray and hair gel; hair styling preparations; lip balm; lotions, cream, and oil for skin, hair, face and body; make-up preparations; make-up remover; makeup; mouth freshener; nail care preparations; nail polish; non-medicated bath preparations; non-medicated lip preparations; non-medicated skincare preparations; non-medicated sun care preparations; colognes; scented room sprays; shaving cream; shaving gel; skin cleansing creams and washes; soaps; sun tanning preparations; sunless self tanners; sunscreen preparations; toothpaste and mouthwashes
- Air fresheners; adhesive tape for medical purposes; air deodorant; air purifying preparations; all purpose disinfectants; anti-cavity dental coating preparations containing fluoride; anti-inflammatory sprays, solves and gels; bandages for skin wounds; calcium fortified candy for medical purposes; carpet deodorizers; deodorizing preparations for pet litter boxes; dietary supplements; disposable swim diapers for infants and children; energy boosting supplements; eye patches for medical purposes; first aid kits; food for babies; food supplements; gauze for dressings; herbal supplements; liquid nutritional supplements; medicated anti-cavity dental wash; medicated cosmetics; medicated hair preparations; medicated mouthwash; medicated skin care preparations; medicated sunscreen; medicines; mineral supplements; nutritional supplements; powdered nutritional supplement drink mix; preparations for repelling animals, birds and insects; protein supplements; sanitary towels; sanitizing gels and sprays; sterilizing preparations; vitamins
- Precious metals and their alloys; jewelry, precious and semi-precious stones; horological and chronometric instruments; charms for jewelry; clocks; cuff links and tie clips; decorative boxes made of precious metal; jewelry boxes; jewelry organizer rolls for travel; keychains; keyrings; medals and medallions; non-monetary coins; ornamental pins; semi-wrought precious metals and their imitations; statues of precious and semi-precious stones; statues of precious metal; trophies of precious metal; watch bands and straps; watches
- Paper and cardboard; printed matter; bookbinding material; photographs; stationery and office requisites, except furniture; adhesives for stationery or household purposes; drawing materials and materials for artists; paintbrushes; instructional and teaching materials; plastic sheets, films and bags for wrapping and packaging; printers’ type, printing blocks; address books; art prints; arts and craft paint kits; baby books; binders; blank journals; books; bookends; bookmarks; bumper stickers; calendars; cardboard stand-up cutouts featuring photographs or artwork; chalk; children’s books; coasters made of paper; coin album; coloring books; comic books; crayons; decals; decorative paper centerpieces; diaries; dispensers for tape for stationery use; drawing rulers; dry erase writing boards and writing surfaces; easel pads; easels; erasers; flash cards; game books; general feature magazines; gift wrapping paper; globes; greeting cards; guest books; lunch bags made of paper; maps; modeling clay; notebooks; notepad holders; paint applicators; paintings; paper flags; paper folders; paper gift bags; paper napkins; paper pads; paper party decorations; paper place mats; paper shopping bag; paperweights; pencil sharpeners; pens and pencils; photo albums; plastic party goodie bags; plastic shopping bags; postcards; posters; printed awards; printed brochures, namely, playbills; printed invitations; recipe book; series of fiction books; stickers; table cloths made of paper; temporary tattoo transfers; trading cards; typeface; wrapping paper; writing implements; writing utensil holders
- Leather and imitations of leather; animal skins and hides; luggage and carrying bags; umbrellas and parasols; walking sticks; whips, harness and saddlery; collars, leashes and clothing for animals; all-purpose carrying bags; backpacks; bags; beach bags; briefcases; cosmetic bags and cases sold empty; duffle bags; fanny packs; fashion bags; fitted belts for luggage handbags; key cases of leather or imitation leather; knapsacks; mesh shopping bags; messenger bags; plastic luggage labels; purses; school bags; toiletry bags sold empty; tote bags; trunks and traveling bags; wallets
- Baby bolsters; baby bouncer seats; baby changing mats; baby walkers; beach chairs; beds for household pets; bird houses; book stands; clothes hangers; clothes hooks not of metal; corks; costume stands; cushions; decorative boxes made of plastic; decorative glitter; display cases for merchandise; display stands; fabric figurines; fabric tissue box covers; figurines and statuettes made of plaster, plastic, wax or wood; fitted furniture covers; fixed napkin dispenser not of metal; fixed towel dispenser not of metal; flagpoles; furniture; hammock stands; hand fans; jewelry organizer displays; ladders of wood or plastic; locks, other than electric, not of metal; looking glasses; mirrors; non-electric fans for personal use; non-metal clips for general use; non-metal curtain rods; non-metal pet tags; non-metal trophies; novelty items in the nature of life-size three-dimensional replicas of motion picture film and television program characters, made of plastic, latex and polyurethane foam; picture frames; pillows; plastic boxes; plastic cake decorations; plastic flags; plastic keychains and plastic keychain tags; plastic name badges; plastic novelty license plates; plastic pennants; portable bath seats; sleeping mats and pads; slumber bags; toy boxes and chests; wind chimes; window blinds
- Household or kitchen utensils and containers; cookware and tableware, except forks, knives and spoons; combs and sponges; brushes, except paint brushes; brush-making materials; articles for cleaning purposes; unworked or semi-worked glass, except building glass; glassware, porcelain and earthenware; aquariums; artificial aquarium landscapes; beverageware; bottle openers; bottles sold empty; cages for pets; cake servers; cake stands; candle sticks not made of precious metal; candy boxes; canteen; ceramic figurines; ceramic tissue box covers; cocktail sticks; cookie cutters; cookie jars; corkscrews; cups; dental floss; dinnerware; dishes; drinking straws; flower pots; folding boxes for home use; hair brushes; ice cream scoop; ice cube trays; incense burners; indoor terrarium for animals or insects; indoor terrarium for plants; infant bathtubs; inflatable drink holders; insulated containers for food or beverages; lunch bags made of textile; lunch boxes; make-up brushes; metal coin banks; mugs; oven mitts; pet feeding dishes; plates; plastic coasters; recipe boxes; salt and pepper shakers; saucers; thermal insulated wrap for cans to keep the contents cold or hot; toothbrushes; trash basket; trays; vases
- Textiles and substitutes for textiles; household linen; curtains of textile or plastic; banners and flags of textiles; bed and table covers; bed canopies; bed linen; bed sheets; bed spreads; blanket throws; blankets, namely, baby blankets, lap blankets, pet blankets, traveling blankets and bed blankets; cloth coasters; crib bumper pads; crib bumpers; crib canopies; diaper changing pads not of paper; draperies; fabric diaper stackers; pennants of textile; pillow shams; pillowcases; placemats not made of paper; plastic table covers; shower curtains; sleeping bags; table linen; table napkins of textile; tablecloths not made of paper; towels; wash cloths
- Clothing, footwear, headwear; aprons; bath robes; belts; bottoms; capes; cloth bibs; coats; costumes for use in role playing games; dresses; ear muffs; gloves; gowns; Halloween and masquerade costumes and masks sold in connection therewith; hats; hosiery; infant wear; jackets; leotards; lingerie; loungewear; mittens; pajamas; pants; plastic baby bibs; ponchos; rainwear; scarves; shirts; shoes; shorts; ski wear; skirts; sleepwear; slippers; socks; sports jerseys; sweaters; sweatshirts; swimwear; ties; tops; undergarments
- Armbands; artificial Christmas garlands and wreaths; artificial flowers; barrettes; belt clasps; bows for the hair; buttons; charms for attachment to beverage glassware for identification purposes; belt buckles; clothing buckles; electric hair waving implements; embroidered patches for clothing; hair pieces and hair wigs; hair pins; hair rollers; hatbands; lace and embroidery; ornamental badges; ornamental bows; pet collar accessories, namely, charms; ribbons and braid; rubber bands for hair; sequins; shoe laces; synthetic braiding hair; trimmings for clothes and footwear
- Games, toys and playthings; video game apparatus; gymnastic and sporting articles; decorations for Christmas trees; action skill games; activity gyms for children; amusement game machines; amusement park rides; aquatic fins and mask; arcade games; archery arrows; archery bows; archery targets; artificial Christmas trees; artificial climbing walls; athletic protective pads; baby rattles; baby swings; badminton sets; bags specifically adapted for sporting equipment and toys; balloons; balls for games; balls for sports; baseball bats; basketball hoops; bathtub toys; beach balls; billiard game playing equipment; bird calls; board games; body boards; boomerangs; bubble making wand and solution sets; card games; Christmas stockings; children’s multiple activity toys; collectable toy figures; confetti; cornhole game set; dart boards; decorative wind spinners; dice; doll accessories; doll playsets; dolls and doll clothing; dominoes; electric action toys; electric educational toys and games; fishing rods; fishing tackle; floats for swimming; flying discs; games controllers for computer games; gaming machines for gambling; gloves for sports; golf ball markers; golf clubs; golf gloves; hand held units for playing electronic games other than those adapted for use with an external display screen or monitor; hobby craft kits comprised of toy figure plastic molds, fasteners for attaching toy figure molds, and decorative accessories for molded toy figures; hockey pucks; hockey sticks; ice skates; indoor play tents; infant toys; inflatable pool toys; inflatable toys; juggling equipment; jump ropes; kaleidoscopes; kites; magic tricks; music box toys; musical toys; parlor games; party games; pet toys; pinball and arcade game machines; plush toys; puppets; puzzles; roller skates; skateboards; ski poles; skis; snow boards; snow globes; spinning tops; squeeze toys; stand-up paddleboards; surfboards; table tennis paddles and rackets; table tennis tables; target games; tennis rackets; toy action figures and accessories therefor; toy banks; toy bucket and shovel sets; toy building blocks; toy building structures; toy figures; toy imitation cosmetics; toy jewelry; toy mobiles; toy vehicles and accessories therefor; toy watches; toy weapons; water squirting toys; wind-up toys; yo-yos
- Almond milk; applesauce; candied fruit; cheese; chili; dairy products excluding ice cream, ice milk and frozen yogurt; dairy-based beverages; dried fruits; dried fruit-based snacks; drinking yogurts; food bars; french fries; frozen fruits; frozen vegetables; frozen, prepared and packaged entrees or meals consisting primarily of meat, fish, poultry or vegetables; frozen, prepared or packaged vegetable-based entrees; fruit chips; fruit salads; fruit-based food beverage; fruit-based snack food; hamburgers; hot dogs; jams; jellies; mashed potatoes; meats; milk beverages; milk-based beverages with chocolate; non-diary milk; nut butters; nut-based snack foods; pickles; potato chips; potato salad; potato-based snack foods; processed fruits and vegetables; processed nuts; raisins; snack mix consisting primarily of processed fruits, processed nuts and/or raisins; soups; soy milk; vegetable-based food beverages; yogurt
- Bakery goods; bread mixes; brownie, cookie, and cake mixes; candy; cereal based energy bars; cereal-based snack foods; chewing gum; chocolate; cocoa; coffee; cones for ice cream; cookies; corn chips; crackers; flavored ices; frozen confections; frozen yogurt; ice cream; ice pops; instant noodles; marshmallows; oatmeal; pancake mixes; pastries; pies; pizza; popcorn; pretzels; processed cereal; puddings; sweets; syrup; tea; waffles
- Beer; cider; drinking water; energy drinks; flavored beers; flavored waters; fruit juices; fruit-flavored beverages; herbal juices; juice base concentrates; non-alcoholic beverages; non-alcoholic beverages, namely, carbonated beverages; powders for making beverages; punch; smoothies; soft drinks; sparkling water; sports drinks; vegetable juices
- Administration of a program to promote community service; administration of consumer loyalty program; advertising and marketing services, namely, promoting the goods and services of others; advertising, marketing and promotion services; arranging and conducting special events for commercial, promotional or advertising purposes; business consulting and information services; charitable services, namely, promoting environmental awareness to the public; management of commercial activities; market research; promoting public awareness of environmental issues and initiatives; providing career information; online retail store services; retail gift shops; retail store services;retail store services featuring general merchandise; retail store services featuring cosmetics and personal care products, nutritional supplements and vitamins, metal objects, novelty items, figurines, statuettes, tools, pre-recorded media featuring motion pictures, music, mouse pads, mobile device cases, jewelry, watches, stationery, posters, books, paper products, bags, furniture, umbrellas, pet products, children’s products, decorative items, household and kitchen goods, beverageware, textiles, clothing, headwear, footwear, costumes, fashion accessories, games and toys, collectibles, souvenir items, snacks, beverages, food products, candy and sweets
- Audio and video broadcasting services over a global communications network; audio and video broadcasting services; chatroom services for social networking; cinematography services; streaming of audio, visual and audiovisual material; telecommunication services, namely, transmission of podcasts; telecommunication services, namely, transmission of voice, data, graphics, images, audio and video by means of telecommunications networks, wireless communication networks, and the Internet; telecommunication services, namely, transmission of webcasts; telecommunication services; video on demand transmissions; virtual chat rooms established via text messaging
- Booking of seats for travel; booking of tickets for travel; organization and arrangement of travel; providing transport for tours; travel agency services; travel, transport, and tour information services; travel booking agencies; travel clubs; travel guide services; travel information and excursion arrangement services
- Application service provider featuring software to enable uploading, posting, displaying, sharing or providing electronic media or information over the Internet or other communications network; computer animation services; computer graphics services; computer programming services; computer services, namely, creating an on-line community for registered users to participate in discussions, get feedback from their peers, form virtual communities, and engage in social networking; computer services, namely, creating computer network-based indexes of information, websites and resources; computer services, namely, providing an interactive website featuring technology that allows users to collect, store, manage, deliver and showcase content; computer services, namely, providing online news and information regarding scientific information in the field of environmental protection; computer services, namely, providing search engines for obtaining data on a global computer network; computer services; consulting services in the field of environmental protection; design and development of computer software; hosting of digital content on the Internet; platform as a service (PASS); providing a web site featuring technology that enables Internet users to book travel; providing a website allowing users to upload and download music and digital media and to purchase downloadable music and digital media; providing a website featuring technology that enables users to upload and share user-generated videos on a wide variety of topics and subjects; providing a website that features technology that enables the secure exchange of information by users; providing online searchable computer databases regarding scientific information in the field of environmental protection; research in the field of environmental protection; software as a service (SASS); website services, namely, hosting and designing websites for others
- Arranging hotel accommodation; bar services; booking of temporary accommodation; cafes; cafeterias; catering services; hotel services; providing information in the field of temporary lodging and accommodations; providing temporary accommodation; providing travel lodging information services and travel lodging booking agency services; restaurant services; services for providing food and drink; snack bars; travel agency services, namely, making reservations and booking for temporary lodging for others