Has the Hulk killed or not? It has been a bone of contention in the Marvel Universe.
Well, even if you restrict it to the 616 Marvel Universe, yes. Repeatedly.
A rogue scientist killed in Web Of Spider-Man when the Hulk destroyed the support beams of a building which collapsed on him. Human-turned-monster, the Crawling Unknown was impaled by the Hulk with a metal spike, then hit by lightning. Bruce Banner was meant to have accidentally killed his father, smashing his head on his mother’s gravestone. Even if these weren’t direct kills, Bruce Banner shot General Ross in the head.
And if that doesn’t count as the Hulk, SHIELD stated that he’d killed 26 people, including 2 children, in a latest rampage, indicating that this wasn’t the first time.
And if that wasn’t on-panel enough for you, the Hulk crushed a paedophile’s skull in Planet Hulk Prelude.
But in World War Hulk, it was revealed that the Hulk had never killed anyone, even in a rampage. Amadeus Cho explaining thatBruce Banner was stopping any deaths from happening and controlling the Hulk just enough that everyone lived.
This dichotomy has never been properly explained. But it is emphasised by the narrator in today’s Immortal Hulk #8. As the Hulk managed to put himself together, and bringing someone else into the process.
And also giving us one of the best looking Hulk-to-Banner transformations, that emphasises the horror nature of this comic book now. And, again, seems right out of Bissette and Veitch’s work on Swamp Thing.
And giving Bruce Banner the revelation over what has just happened…
He’s fooling himself. Amadeus Cho was clearly wrong. This is cognitive dissonance of the highest order. Just ask SHIELD.
Oh wait, you can’t…
IMMORTAL HULK #8
(W) Al Ewing (A) Joe Bennett (CA) Alex Ross
• Bruce Banner is dead. His corpse has been dissected, his organs catalogued, and his inner workings are being studied by the scientists of Shadow Base.
• Bruce Banner is no longer a threat.
• That just leaves the IMMORTAL HULK…
Rated T+In Shops: Nov 07, 2018
- Tom King Shaves His Beard Just Like Mister Miracle #12 (Spoilers) - November 14, 2018
- Is Matt Smith’s Burberry Ad a Christmas Treat or the Beginning of a Horror Film? - November 14, 2018
- Does Brian Bendis Throw Shade at Zack Snyder’s Man Of Steel in Superman #5? (Spoilers) - November 14, 2018
- Venom #8 Twist Suggests a Symbiotically-Transmitted Disease That Will Affect Spider-Man, Scorpion and Deadpool? - November 14, 2018
- Aquaman, Now a Fisherman, in Kelly Sue DeConnick and Robson Rocha’s Revamp (Preview) - November 14, 2018