While perhaps not the best book-to-film adaptation this year, The Meg did well enough in theaters to get another bite. It would appear that a sequel is on the way, as well as a possible theme park. Because there’s no way that can POSSIBLY go wrong, right?
During the US-China Entertainment Summit, Executive Producer Catherine Xujun Ying said a sequel to The Meg is “definitely the plan.” (Ying is also the VP of China Media Capital and CEO of its production company Gravity Pictures.) She continued, saying “it’s still very early stages right now, but we’re working or starting to work on it. We’d like to keep it a secret at this time.”
The Meg director John Turteltaub joked about the film, saying “we were being laughed at by a lot of people for making this movie. Before it came out, the tracking was horrible. They were saying this is a huge mistake, Warner Brothers has blown it, China is done.” Jokes’ on them though, as the prehistoric shark film brought in $528 mil, making it the highest grossing Sino-American co-production thus far.
In anycase, we ARE looking forward to more The Meg. We’ll keep you updated on the status of this project.
- Deadwood: Dispatches From The Thoroughfare, Wu [Keone Young] Edition - November 13, 2018
- Legendary Entertainment Nabs Dark Horse’s Black Hammer for Film, TV - November 13, 2018
- ‘Outlander’: Caitriona Balfe on the Unsavory Side of “Do No Harm” - November 13, 2018
- Here’s the Official Synopsis for ‘Detective Pikachu’ - November 13, 2018
- Disney+ Star Wars Series ‘The Mandalorian’ Will Star Pedro Pascal - November 13, 2018