The long-gestating saga of an Alien film from Neill Blomkamp continues, with yet-another quote from Ellen Ripley herself, Sigourney Weaver.
Perhaps you’ll recall when a few years ago, Weaver revealed the plans (at the time) for a direct Aliens sequel that Blomkamp (District 9, Chappie) was reportedly working on. It sounded amazing; picking up right after the dropship leaves Hadley’s Hope, and telling the story of what happened to Newt, Ripley, and the additional survivors of the Colonial Marines.
Sadly, that project got scrapped for Sir Ridley Scott‘s Prometheus sequel, Alien: Covenant, and whatever the other films are he has in mind.
Just this weekend, Weaver addressed the Blomkamp film subject again while speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, saying:
“We almost started to do [Blomkamp’s Alien] when I was working with James Cameron. But by the time we were put off by Fox, Neill had gotten so many jobs that we’d have to wait probably. I’m busy doing Avatar 4 and 5.
I love working with Neill and I think he’d do a terrific job, and James Cameron really thinks it’s a great idea, so you never know. Right now, I think Neill’s got like three projects going at once.”
While sure, that’s not really a cement update, it’s the most we’ve heard on the subject for sometime.
It’s not like projects don’t suddenly happen once all the pieces fall into place, so we’re going to keep hoping that maybe, someday, we get the Aliens sequel we deserve.
- Sir Ridley Scott Still Planning 'Gladiator 2', Writer Added
- Ripley's 'Alien' Space Suit Goes for $204k, 'Aliens' Flamethrower for $108k
- Let's Talk About James Cameron’s Story Of Science Fiction Episode 2
- Zoe Saldana Talks Avatar Sequels and James Cameron's Superhero Fatigue Comments
- Let's Talk About AMC Visionaries: James Cameron’s Story Of Science Fiction Episode 1
- James Cameron Still Believes in the Power of Science Fiction, But Maybe Not Superheroes
- Sir Ridley Scott Waxes Poetic About H.R. Giger, AMC's The Terror, and Thelma & Louise
- Neill Blomkamp's Studio Will Broadcast Five Short Films on Twitch
- A Chat With Netflix Marvel Series' Costume Designer Stephanie Maslansky and Makeup Head Sarit Klein at #WonderCon
- ABC Renews ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ For a 7th Season - November 16, 2018
- The Criterion Channel: New Service Picking Up Where FilmStruck Left Off - November 16, 2018
- Adi Shankar Working on ‘Devil May Cry’ Series for Netflix - November 16, 2018
- Fire & Blood: An Excerpt From George R. R. Martin’s Targaryen History Tome - November 16, 2018
- D23 Releases 2019’s Schedule, Celebrating 10 Years of Disney Fandom - November 16, 2018